Custom Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of any of the aerosol can spray adhesives. I replaced the headliner in my Jeep XJ with a fiber-backed vinyl intended for outdoor upholstery (heavy) and it's still like new. I used DAP Weldwood contact adhesive and applied it with a Harbor Freight paint gun

71Q%2BpTudEfL._SX425_.jpg

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spray type contact cements like Stay Put or that weldwood will work much better than anything in an aerosol can. Make sure you get good coverage but not to the point of soaking through. 2 medium coats are better than 1 heavy one.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some thinking I've decided not to do black suede... for now. My headliner is fine as it is now and I don't feel the need to do suede so I'm just gonna install the kit on the OEM. I haven't seen a whole lot of these done on lighter fabric and it won't make a difference when its dark, plus saves me some money :D. And when it does eventually sag I'll pull it, get it wrapped and do a new fiber kit with 1100 strands. So I'm not necessarily worried about doing it on the stock headliner, if it sags or gets ruined eventually its not gonna be the end of the world. However, I haven't exactly figured out how I'm going to run the fibers. My plan is to mount the box in the little box on the driver's side in the back for easy access and cut a hole through the side and up the rear pillar on the rear driver's side door. I have a poorly edited pic attached that shows the general idea. The green line represents the fibers (which will be loomed until the headliner) and the red line is the power wire that will have to be ran to the light box. However, I have no idea if that's even possible. I'm not sure how to pull those panels, and the research I've done so far hasn't brought any answers. So if anyone has any suggestions or can direct me towards a thread that could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

image1 (1).png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission