Custom exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Michigan, Jun 17, 2019.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    ive had flowmaster on most of my trucks except my current 97 has a thrush flowmaster knock off. i like the flowmaster force 2 systems as they have a nice little growl to them but are friendly on the highway. but ya everything from the american thunder on a 91 Camaro and a true dual no cats flowmaster 40 setup on a pickup dumped righg after the cab. down to custom diy stuff and the flowmaster force 2. i like magnaflow on smaller engines but not on v8s. gibson has a nice sound also. but as noted above regarding an all steel exhaust they will rot out. if you do go all steel run the truck for a week or 2 then get some exhaust high heat paint and coat the whole exhaust. next morning it will have a smell as your running it but once the smell clears it will last alot longer. i dont even bother with a steel exhaust anymore unless im doing a cheap diy system or a cheap diy repair. stainless steel exhaust is so much better.

2. richard snitzer

richard snitzer TYF Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Oregon one side and just what I find.

3. Michigan

Michigan Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    It’s been a while and haven’t got around to doing anything to the exhaust but for those new to the thread, I had both my cats cut off because the honeycomb came loose so I seen my exhaust guy the other day when he stopped in at my work and told him the exhaust sounds like shit. I told him I decided on getting a borla muffler and he recommended getting a borla resonator also. He said that should change the sound up and make it sound pretty good

Couple questions.

Should I just get the borla muffler and skip out on the resonator or should I also get the resonator?

What is the benefit of the resonator or is here any cons to having one

Anybody have a borla series or model you recommend for our trucks? Part number would be helpful

I’m going to keep the stock exhaust pipes and just go single out. I was considering doing a dual out probably going to pass that idea up

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    I have the borla on my 6.2L which has stock 3.5 pipe, I like it, I had the flowmaster 50 series on here for a while but at WOT it sounds like shit
    the Borla I have is a straight thru design, it is sort of passive / aggressive, quiet when cruising but has a nice growl when you get on it but not excessively loud
    I guess you could say it has some drone if you are going up a grade and at certain rpm's I did take off the rear resonator but the 6.2 has a middle resonator also which I left in place
    model: Borla 40946 XR-1 Sportsman Muffler 3.5" Center-Center 16"x 4.5"x 7.88"

5. Michigan

Michigan Full Access Member

Name:
    John
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Full Access Member

Name:
    Ted
    The stock pipe diameter inlet and outlet if i remember correctly is 2.75 inches but if you`re having a shop doing the swap they can make up an adapter to make it fit. I`m not sure about the offset on the inlet and outlet though.