Custom CB Install - 07 Tahoe - Bearcat 980 SSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmcss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the newer ones to be honest with you. I drive a 99 myself. But I can help you with ANY. CB related questions you have. That is my area of expertise. If you look toward the rear of the truck, you'll see my lightning rod, err, antenna ;)
sa4upuve.jpg

Thanks again Andy! Looks Like you can communicate with Subs with that! Nice to see how well your truck was taken care of; looks really nice!

I should be picking up the truck in the next couple days and will keep you in mind with the CB questions.

Anyone that is familiar with the newer Tahoe's I would really appreciate hearing how to go about hooking an antenna up in the corners near the hood and the windshield if possible. And how to run the cable. I know about the mount you can buy so I assume it can be done? Just would really like to know how to run the cable through the firewall and if I gave to make any cuts?

Thank you!

Thanks!

usmcss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Andy, was thinking of going all out and buying the Cobra 29 Ltd-bt or going the total other direction and starting out with something cheap. But from experience, going the cheap route always ends in disappointment.

My question is, do I need to buy a speaker as well? Or does the radio have one built in?

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Hey Andy, was thinking of going all out and buying the Cobra 29 Ltd-bt or going the total other direction and starting out with something cheap. But from experience, going the cheap route always ends in disappointment.

My question is, do I need to buy a speaker as well? Or does the radio have one built in?

Nevermind, I figured it out. It has a speaker.

Still would like to hear from anyone who has any suggestions for running the Antenna to the hood on a 2013 Tahoe.

usmcss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the truck and waiting for the CB. I went all out like a boot and bought the Cobra 29 LX BT. I was just going to buy a real cheap unit but decided to go top of the line, or at least I thinks it's a good unit.

I ordered a 4' Firestik 2 and 18' of Firestik Firering FMG RG-58 Coax. Along with quick disconnect and this mount: AUGM3-L

What I am wondering now is; should I have purchased the RG-8 or is this cable good to go?

Did I buy to much; I was thinking that I could just serpintine rap the excess coax and zip tie it?

I finally understand how you guys did your clean install. I have to take the cap off. So there is an antenna mount there? Will I even need to use the mount I ordered?

Can I just run the coax through the door jam into the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance!! I know it's a lot of questions but I can't seem to find anything on how to run this coax on a 2013 Tahoe anywhere.

Semper Fi!

usmcss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok figured all my questions out. Not sure if people are blowing me off on here because of so many question but I hopefully can get someone to answer this.

I have the truck and all the CB equipment purchased from Right Channel. Kay from RC is Awesome by the way!

Anyway, they told me to look for a boot near the master cylinder. I found a large one to the right of it. I will put their directions below.

I am thinking I can just cut into the boot a little and run the cable thought it. There is also a boot (grommet) in the door jamb where the wires to the door go. I was thinking of running the cable through that and then between the wheel well into the engine compartment. Are ether of these ways what you guys have done?

Really would appreciate any feedback. The vehicle is a 2013 Tahoe.

Thanks!

Right Channel instructions: (these instructions seem like they are talking about a grommet that is not in use) 1. The coax should be ran from the mount back towards the black brace at the firewall. There should be a rubber grommet in the firewall close to the brake reservoir. Most customers pull the grommet out, and drill a small hole in the middle for the coax to go through.
2. Then, cut the grommet from one edge to the center hole, so it will slide over the coax. There will usually have some excess length of coax.
3. DO NOT cut the excess coax off!
4. Instead, make a loop about 18" to 20" across. Then take a zip tie and gather the loop in the middle to make what looks like a figure 8.
5. And, you can then attach this to the wiring loom under the hood.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094