Custom buttons in empty dash spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty well have it wired up. I called my buddy who built the HD C/K series stuff. He retired from GM truck factory in Michigan. I wanted to run the wires with bundle as factory would have. He said the main wiring bundle for the dash is located directly above the steering column and said if I drop the column out I'd have direct access to it. He also said there's a strong possibility the factory would have left the connector and everything there to plug into the button. I guess standard practice was to use the same harness for everything... Then just not connect options if they were not installed. Long story short I didn't drop the column but I used fishing line to pull the wires along that route.

I've almost got it all wired in. I'm only lacking dash illumination for the button. I need to find where it's easiest to tap into that at. I was tinkering with the light switch but couldn't tell which wires are for dash illumination.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Pretty well have it wired up. I called my buddy who built the HD C/K series stuff. He retired from GM truck factory in Michigan. I wanted to run the wires with bundle as factory would have. He said the main wiring bundle for the dash is located directly above the steering column and said if I drop the column out I'd have direct access to it. He also said there's a strong possibility the factory would have left the connector and everything there to plug into the button. I guess standard practice was to use the same harness for everything... Then just not connect options if they were not installed. Long story short I didn't drop the column but I used fishing line to pull the wires along that route.

I've almost got it all wired in. I'm only lacking dash illumination for the button. I need to find where it's easiest to tap into that at. I was tinkering with the light switch but couldn't tell which wires are for dash illumination.
So you actually had that harness in there already?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you actually had that harness in there already?
sorry i wasn't very specific. my friend thought there was a strong chance it would be....

but i didnt search. would have possibly required removing the entire dash to dig through the harness.

I bought the connectors and switch and wired my own.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

PutUpYourDux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey man, any updates on this? i want to do the same thing on my 01. i already have a light bar installed, but the (aftermarket) switch is currently installed to the left of the steering wheel in a hole drilled into the bezel. i'm looking to upgrade the head unit and speakers soon, which will include getting a new double din bezel, so i want to change the light bar switch at the same time such that i don't have to cut a hole into the brand new bezel. plus, the factory beacon switch is just plain cool! my aftermarket light bar switch currently pulls illumination power from an add-a-fuse, but i would love to get rid of that if possible, and it sounds like you may have done that. if not, i can just use that same approach with the beacon switch. anywho, let me know if you have any updates, and any specific wiring instructions would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it working :) I just need to properly stow the wire in the sunroof sonit doesnt tangle up. Then make a mount for the light bar.

I even got the backlight working in the switch, spliced into electrical box behind parking brake.

Also took the dash apart and routed cable as tho was factory ( wouldnt recommend this required complete disassembly of the dash.

what questions do you have? where are you at in process?

PutUpYourDux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
glad you got it working! that is awesome. for the backlight, did you use an add-a-fuse tied into the dash illumination fuse such that it comes on with the rest of the dash lights?

i haven't started the process. i have looked at this thread many times over the last few months while i have been mulling my stereo upgrade options, but i haven't yet pulled the trigger on purchasing anything or figuring out any of the wiring. if you could send me exactly what parts need to be purchased (i think it is the switch itself and one other connector that i believe plugs into a blank spot in the fuse box, but maybe i misread) and how to wire them together, that would be awesome. i'm betting i could probably figure it out from all of your detailed posts, but it would save me a lot of time and effort if i could just get the answer sheet from you so to speak lol. the more i think about it, it seems like it is likely best to get this done before i start with the stereo. that way i can focus on just the stereo and getting it done over a weekend. so yea, i guess the time to start this switch upgrade is now!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an add a fuse to power the switch. Then SEO fuse ( already wired up just need a connector off ebay) that powers the light.

I attached the relay for the light to the metal frame that holds the knee bolster panel below the steering wheel.

I believe it needed a separate power source for illumination. I tied directly into illumination on the footwell panel for that.

I am sorted on how to run power to the roof. I would LOVE to make an outlet on the roof rack... However, I am unsure about cutting through roof.

PutUpYourDux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i already have a relay installed under the hood for the light bar, so it sounds like i just need to connect the trigger wire for the relay to the new beacon switch in lieu of my existing rocker switch, and then move the add-a-fuse wire to the illumination wire on the new switch. can you confirm that i just need to pick up these two parts: beacon switch (gm 15722980) and the SEO connector (delphi 12193930, currently $35 on ebay)? everything else should just be wire and solder/connectors/terminals/etc., correct? i can't find the beacon switch anywhere now. i found it on ebay a few months ago but nothing now, on any website. hopefully i can find one somewhere at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2