Cummins yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will pay for itself in the long run lol

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
I want to see the numbers!

Things like that rarely pay off...

Lets say the conversion would be $15k... you could take the $15k, put it in a conservative investment that pays out 4% and make $600 per year.

Todays cost of fuel in my AO: Regular $2.75, Diesel $3.25

Lets say he's getting 15 mpg now, a Cummins will probably get him around 19-24 depending on which engine he choose so lets go 24 just to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Cost per mile on gas: $0.183
Cost per mile on diesel: $0.135
Different: $.048

$600/.048 = 12,500 miles driven per year just to break even neglecting any cost over-runs for the project, increased annual maintenance on a diesel, very conservative "Cost of money" (interest rate/return), and choosing the best case scenario mileage numbers... Not to mention, if sticking with gas and investing that money, in 30 years when the vehicle is in a scrapyard you still have the money in bank instead of burned up in a pile of rust.

Go with average returns for the stock market (8%) and you would have to drive 25,000 miles a year. Get worse economy than the 24 mpg used in my numbers above and you further increase the miles you have to drive...

Yes, it would be cool, don't get me wrong, but cool doesn't pay the bills when you're 80 and don't have an income... sorry to be a party pooper.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I seen some of Thier videos but I'd hate to see the prices lol and mine has 227k miles I'm just wanting to change things up lol I'm one of those guys that can't leave anything alone haha

They quoted me $20k, which isn't bad at all considering all the upgrades. It's not just a motor and trans swap, it's suspension and other goodies too!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has 227k miles

I'm one of those guys that can't leave anything alone haha

it's gonna take some time I need the money to do it haha

:drunk:
2:00 am wishful thinking?

:party52:

Or was it

:mexsmoke:

This is project for dudes that have an EXTRA $20k...

Servicing & maintaining diesel motor is big bucks in & of itself. A failure sometimes requires a loan for crying out loud. And then retrofitted where it was never intended?

Plus, you need a 3/4 ton chassis or you will always be on thin ice

Is your truck up to date on all of the serviceable parts & linkages? fluids/filters? The w/s manual calls for a host of items to be checked & changed at regular intervals, even more so at the mileage you are clocking. I would be looking into all of that, making sure what I have is dependable in the here and now. DIY could benefit from the comprehensive manuals because of the depth and what you would otherwise overlook or never think of inspecting. There is always something to be done on the older vehicle for those who are really eager.

Last edited:

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be best off trying to drop a tahoe body onto a dodge 2500 chasis.
Or. Cummins and a manual trans in the tahoe.
I LOVE the Cummins straight 6. But I HATE the dodge front end.
When the death wobble creeps up. And it will.... I don't wish that on anybody.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to rain on your parade Anthony, we love diesels too, wish these were offered with them but if the sole reason for doing the swap is for fuel economy, it isn't there. If it's to have a truck with 750 horsepower and 1000 ft pounds of stump pulling fun, then go for it! It'll be mighty expensive to. The other way would be to get an old 1990 Suburban or K5 Blazer and a 1990 6BT Cummins and do a swap like that. No computer nightmare and those old valve adjusting 6BTs got 26 mpg in our 1990 1-ton Duallys.

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a youtube video of a Silverado cummins swap so look around youtube . it would be be unique for sure. I always said if I was going to get a diesel I had to get an excursion or a 90s Yukon and unfortunately the excursion seems like the safer route.