Cruise Control turns off/will not activate with manual headlamps on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome, you’re welcome.
I know this thread is old, but thought I'd try. I have similar stuff going on with my 06 Yukon XL, SLT, k-1500, except no HID anywhere, just LEDs swapout. Not interested in splicing in resistors, as it's a bandaid, tricky/ causing overheating wires etc, complexities, IMHO, so I have the LM487 replacement LED relay enroute. The CC/brake lights issue is new to me, just noticed it; just was curing hyperflash.

Will this LM487 replacement relay solve the CC/brame lights issue, or only hyperflash?

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but thought I'd try. I have similar stuff going on with my 06 Yukon XL, SLT, k-1500, except no HID anywhere, just LEDs swapout. Not interested in splicing in resistors, as it's a bandaid, tricky/ causing overheating wires etc, complexities, IMHO, so I have the LM487 replacement LED relay enroute. The CC/brake lights issue is new to me, just noticed it; just was curing hyperflash.

Will this LM487 replacement relay solve the CC/brake lights issue, or only hyperflash?
Forgot my manners. Thanks in advance for any help!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Will this LM487 replacement relay solve the CC/brame lights issue, or only hyperflash?
Only hyper flash. The cruise control looks for a certain resistance in the brake lights and if it’s not there, as with LED’s, it won’t let CC engage because it thinks there’s an issue. Hitting the brakes is one way to disengage CC, especially in a panic situation, so it disables it from engaging. The relay only affects the turn signals- the brake lights don’t go through it anyway. Your only choice is regular light bulbs in the brake lights or a load resistor. If it’s installed properly, a load resistor is a permanent fix with zero issues. I have had them on mine for years. No melted wires etc.

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forgot my manners. Thanks in advance for any help!

Only hyper flash. The cruise control looks for a certain resistance in the brake lights and if it’s not there, as with LED’s, it won’t let CC engage because it thinks there’s an issue. Hitting the brakes is one way to disengage CC, especially in a panic situation, so it disables it from engaging. The relay only affects the turn signals- the brake lights don’t go through it anyway. Your only choice is regular light bulbs in the brake lights or a load resistor. If it’s installed properly, a load resistor is a permanent fix with zero issues. I have had them on mine for years. No melted wires etc.
All very helpful. I've seen LED bulbs labeled "canbus-ready" etc, but I assume same issue, won't solve the CC safety override you described. Maybe brake light bulbs/ assemblies with onboard/ integral resistance not requiring a splice-in, or more of an own replacement solution exists. I'll keep looking, now that I understand the issue. Or feel free to point me if you know of something. I'm somewhat familiar and pretty mechanical, but not an expert, and anyway trying to keep it diy / simple/ original, eg just swapping out bulbs, as much as possible, far away from an elaborate mod or $$$ to a shop or mod contractor. Thanks again.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All very helpful. I've seen LED bulbs labeled "canbus-ready" etc, but I assume same issue, won't solve the CC safety override you described. Maybe brake light bulbs/ assemblies with onboard/ integral resistance not requiring a splice-in, or more of an own replacement solution exists. I'll keep looking, now that I understand the issue. Or feel free to point me if you know of something. I'm somewhat familiar and pretty mechanical, but not an expert, and anyway trying to keep it diy / simple/ original, eg just swapping out bulbs, as much as possible, far away from an elaborate mod or $$$ to a shop or mod contractor. Thanks again.
No, canbus is different. That’s for later model years anyway. Those bulbs won’t help. They still don’t have enough resistance. Just read my instructions in post #28. Mount the load resistors to the inside of the body cavity away from the tail lights and don’t have any wires touching them. There’s plenty of room once you remove the tail lights to mount them and the metal acts like a heat sink. It’s not elaborate and no “ mod contractor” needed. All the tail lights I’ve seen with built in load resistors only have them on the turn signals for hyper flash. They don’t put them on the brake light circuits.

Todd Fisher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not good at moving around in this forum yet, but - is that your post#28 in a different thread? This one only goes to #26, the last few being our recent exchange. Would you please point me to your post#28?

Also, I'll search around more myself, but meantime could you (or the moderator?) possibly please point me to a good analysis (here or elsewhere) of the whole subject of replacement LED bulbs simply being swapped out with the incandescents, throughout these 800-platform vehicles, interior and exterior?

I'm not yet far along with swapping out, but I'm getting concerned it's a bigger can of worms than I was thinking; eg I read something earlier about futility of LEDs' simply swapped into stock lights/ assemblies' because the OEM incandescent reflectors were designed only for the old incandescent bulbs, so swapping LEDs in actually doesn't result in significantly better illumination (in interior lighting, or downrange viz from headlights' throw)?

I'm not tricking out my faithful old truck (my only stylistic concern being the consistency of the overall vehicle's appearance), but rather just swapping out for utilitarian reasons, same as at home: ie hugely improved safety/ convenience from much better illumination, yet with longer life/ less energy use & heat accumulation/ the bulbs' cost dropping so dramatically; but I don't want this to be a hugely complicated, technical project (how many recovering tax lawyers does it take to change a light bulb blah blah); at least the headlight bulbs that I'm trying, as designed, supposedly mate well with the stock reflectors' (incandescent bulb) designed illumination configuration so theoretically give much greater illumination, without blinding/ annoying oncoming traffic.

Anyway - thanks once again for your kind help.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not good at moving around in this forum yet, but - is that your post#28 in a different thread? This one only goes to #26, the last few being our recent exchange. Would you please point me to your post#28?

Also, I'll search around more myself, but meantime could you (or the moderator?) possibly please point me to a good analysis (here or elsewhere) of the whole subject of replacement LED bulbs simply being swapped out with the incandescents, throughout these 800-platform vehicles, interior and exterior?

I'm not yet far along with swapping out, but I'm getting concerned it's a bigger can of worms than I was thinking; eg I read something earlier about futility of LEDs' simply swapped into stock lights/ assemblies' because the OEM incandescent reflectors were designed only for the old incandescent bulbs, so swapping LEDs in actually doesn't result in significantly better illumination (in interior lighting, or downrange viz from headlights' throw)?

I'm not tricking out my faithful old truck (my only stylistic concern being the consistency of the overall vehicle's appearance), but rather just swapping out for utilitarian reasons, same as at home: ie hugely improved safety/ convenience from much better illumination, yet with longer life/ less energy use & heat accumulation/ the bulbs' cost dropping so dramatically; but I don't want this to be a hugely complicated, technical project (how many recovering tax lawyers does it take to change a light bulb blah blah); at least the headlight bulbs that I'm trying, as designed, supposedly mate well with the stock reflectors' (incandescent bulb) designed illumination configuration so theoretically give much greater illumination, without blinding/ annoying oncoming traffic.

Anyway - thanks once again for your kind help.
Typo, I meant post #18. As for the rest, you could either do a Google search or browse through the correct sub-forum ie the one this thread is posted in, or the tech section for 2000-2006. The search function here isn’t the greatest. I do not have links saved for any of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep