Cruise Control turns off/will not activate with manual headlamps on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
I put the incandescent bulbs back into the marker lights(the outermost bulbs on the edge/side, not upfront) and did not get CC back. The GMT800 is 94'-99 right? Where does this signal controller live I should be able to pull one in from an older truck correct?

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
Hmmn, I should have mentioned at the top that I'm an 2001 LT Tahoe(GMT800), my bad, so this would mean the flashers are not likely the issues, so should I refocus on the brake lamp resistors for proper installation?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t suppose you have a stock set of tail lights to swap in? Or some with regular bulbs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I can do that. I still have my old set of tails...didnt think about that. Will do that in about an hour, and check back in.
Awesome. That will narrow down the problem and you’ll know if it’s the tail lights or something else causing the problem.

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
It appears to be the Led tails... my originals gave me me no issues with the CC. Worth mention is that the LED tails appear to only really have two lamps: the running and the brake are the same LED bulb; and it just flashes for turns. The second one is the reverse bulb which is an incandescent bulb.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears to be the Led tails... my originals gave me me no issues with the CC. Worth mention is that the LED tails appear to only really have two lamps: the running and the brake are the same LED bulb; and it just flashes for turns. The second one is the reverse bulb which is an incandescent bulb.
That’s normal. So you need to figure out which wire in your vehicle side harness is the brake light. Hook up a test light and strip about 1/8” of insulation from both colored wires ( the ground should be the black ones, no need to test those) and look for a wire with no power with the brakes off but has power with the brakes applied. You can use a helper or just put something heavy on the brake pedal. Once you know which color wire is the brake light on that side, the other side will be the same color so you just need to figure out one side, passenger or driver. Tape up the unused wire(s) where you stripped the insulation. Take your load resistors and connect one end to the brake light wire where you stripped the insulation, maybe need to strip some more, and the other to the chassis inside the cavity where the tail lights mount, where the resistor can stay away from the wires. Be sure to scrape the paint where you put a screw so it’s a good ground. You might need to add some wire between the harness and where it connects to the resistor. I like to solder but you can hook them up using whatever method you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep