Creaking above passenger side second row bucket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, the dealer is doing something with my headliner. Truck has been in service all week; with a dealer that actually cares. Weird...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar sound on mine, but I have not yet tried to trace it down. I simply turn up the volume on my audio system, and I can no longer hear the sound. :)

I'm sure the exhaust drowns it out too. :)

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, the dealer is doing something with my headliner. Truck has been in service all week; with a dealer that actually cares. Weird...
My headliner creaks too. I chose to live with it instead of trusting the dealer to tear it apart. My experience with dealers and interior issues is fixing one problem leads to another, and they almost always cause scratches etc. doing jobs like this. I might shove some foam in there eventually but probably wont even mess with that. I hope they make yours right and don't damage anything in the process.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headliner creaks too. I chose to live with it instead of trusting the dealer to tear it apart. My experience with dealers and interior issues is fixing one problem leads to another, and they almost always cause scratches etc. doing jobs like this. I might shove some foam in there eventually but probably wont even mess with that. I hope they make yours right and don't damage anything in the process.

Your 100% right; has happened to me in the past as well. They are also fixing interior door trim as well. I really hope it turns out OK. I've asked them to fix these issues with every service visit, now 7 times. If they make it worse, then I wonder if I can file lemon law claim. Usually if they can't fix within 4 service visits then it qualifies. However, annoying sounds don't leave me stranded either, so not sure if that qualifies...

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 100% right; has happened to me in the past as well. They are also fixing interior door trim as well. I really hope it turns out OK. I've asked them to fix these issues with every service visit, now 7 times. If they make it worse, then I wonder if I can file lemon law claim. Usually if they can't fix within 4 service visits then it qualifies. However, annoying sounds don't leave me stranded either, so not sure if that qualifies...
My advice is just accept it once it's reasonably repaired. The unfortunate truth is that even at this price point you can't expect visual and audible perfection in these vehicles. If it runs reliably then that's the best you can hope for.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice is just accept it once it's reasonably repaired. The unfortunate truth is that even at this price point you can't expect visual and audible perfection in these vehicles. If it runs reliably then that's the best you can hope for.

Yeah, I've pretty much came to that conclusion now... I just need to stop driving my wife's Lexus! Every time I do I then notice more issues with mine..... :)

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious to hear how this goes. I’m waiting on parts to address both my headliner and captain’s chair rattle. But, like you, I was encouraged that they acknowledged both issues and ordered something to attempt to repair.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear how this goes. I’m waiting on parts to address both my headliner and captain’s chair rattle. But, like you, I was encouraged that they acknowledged both issues and ordered something to attempt to repair.

Yeah, it seems that they all do it. Curious to hear from those that haven't experienced the headliner creak... It "may" be related to those with pano roofs, as the aluminum track could be different from non-pano's... Not sure. I believe GM has received plenty of requests to fix this and they may be coming out with different clips. The dealer is also "repairing" the sunroof drain line gurgle noise. From my research, this to has occurred with most vehicles and they now have an updated TSB to replace or install drain tube extensions. Before, the TSB only said to turn on the HVAC system to force excess water through the lines (not a fix).

You mentioned the captains chair rattle; I've heard another rattle from that location but have yet to find it. It very faint and actually something I can deal him. I don't seem to hear it while kids are in the back. Do you know where on the chairs it comes from?

I have been really disgusted with the support I've received from GM since buying my Yukon in July. So when I see this new dealer taking the extra effort with my problems, I finally have hope!! The early buyers of these trucks really are guinea pigs and I think GM is just now coming up with solutions to many concerns.

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You mentioned the captains chair rattle; I've heard another rattle from that location but have yet to find it. It very faint and actually something I can deal him. I don't seem to hear it while kids are in the back. Do you know where on the chairs it comes from?

Agreed. They said the parts were delayed (this was a few weeks ago) - fairly certain they are replacing the clips but not sure.

As for the chair, the noise is usually pretty loud. It doesn’t do it if someone is in the seat. It is coming from the rear clamp / seat track (if you fold the seat forward the noise goes away). You can recreate it by just grabbing the seat and shaking it. It moves slightly in the track / clamp, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts