CRC intake valve cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought this and sprayed a whole can in the pcv intake on the manifold.

I also put in a catch can. This is on a 2015 Tahoe with 107k miles, so it probably is pretty dirty in there.

Has anyone been using the CRC stuff? Of course I can’t see the valves so I have no idea how it’s working.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have a can of that @ home…. I still haven’t used it because my valves are pretty damn clean, I’ve been running the 91 octane tune from BB performance with nothing but Chevron, Shell or 76 gas filled in the tank since 6,000mi… I’m at 43k and the truck runs amazing still.

keeping up with your oil changes and using 100% synthetic will help too.
I’ve heard that stuff works pretty also so
Go ahead and use it and you will most likely notice a difference.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have a can of that @ home…. I still haven’t used it because my valves are pretty damn clean, I’ve been running the 91 octane tune from BB performance with nothing but Chevron, Shell or 76 gas filled in the tank since 6,000mi… I’m at 43k and the truck runs amazing still.

keeping up with your oil changes and using 100% synthetic will help too.
I’ve heard that stuff works pretty also so
Go ahead and use it and you will most likely notice a difference.

Normally I don't use any intake valve cleaner in my other cars since it's not DI. The Tahoe being a DI engine the better quality gas and better oil is not going to help the intake valves; there is no gas being sprayed on them like a traditional FI engine. Well maybe the better oil would not cake up as much? Not sure on that but the gas definitely doesn't hit the intake valves.

From my understanding the PCV system lets oil mist into the intake, and that oil is what starts to gum up the intake valves. With no gas to spray them clean, that oil just keeps caking on. So that's why I did the CRC cleaner and I also installed a catch can to prevent more buildup.

There were several options to apply this solvent, but in my thnking using the PVC return on the intake made the most sense. This is that path that the source of the junk is coming in so I figure the solvent following that path would make the most sense.

Tahoe was running fine prior, I was just wondering if anyone ever pulled an intake and checked out their valves on a truck with 100k+ miles and see what they looked like?

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my intake manifold and valley pan gaskets, I noticed all kinds of build up in the intake manifold and into the top end. This is after two instances of using Seafoam per their instructions. I've had Seafoam work well on lawn mowers and Harley engines, but never something more than 2 cylinders while sucking in through a vacuum line or straight through the TB. Anyway, I just manually cleaned it all and installed a can. It's clean now. There was a period of time the truck ran a little off after the catch can was installed... but now it's smoother and more powerful (all things considered). I think the computer had to adjust for not having oil and junk in the intake anymore... but who knows.

Chalie M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I also put in a catch can. This is on a 2015 Tahoe with 107k miles, so it probably is pretty dirty in there.

Has anyone been using the CRC stuff? Of course I can’t see the valves so I have no idea how it’s working.
Be careful with that spray, remember whatever you clean or loosen up it mixes in with the oil & u run a high risk of compromising the cam/crank/rod bearings (u get the picture) not to mention your engine oil... Change oil with good synthetic/Dexos oil & dont look back...

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my intake manifold and valley pan gaskets, I noticed all kinds of build up in the intake manifold and into the top end. This is after two instances of using Seafoam per their instructions. I've had Seafoam work well on lawn mowers and Harley engines, but never something more than 2 cylinders while sucking in through a vacuum line or straight through the TB. Anyway, I just manually cleaned it all and installed a can. It's clean now. There was a period of time the truck ran a little off after the catch can was installed... but now it's smoother and more powerful (all things considered). I think the computer had to adjust for not having oil and junk in the intake anymore... but who knows.

How many miles did the motor have? You happen to get any pics of the gunk?

Thanks I'm just curious how bad it gets in there. My 2015 with 107k miles must be really cruddy! I don't plan on taking the manifold off and cleaning though until it starts running a little rough....... Manifold removal I don't consider preventive maintenance :)

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I use the CRC intake / valve cleaner every 5,000 miles or so. My engine is supercharged so I expect it sucks in more goo than normal. Catch-can coming when I get time.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did the motor have? You happen to get any pics of the gunk?

Thanks I'm just curious how bad it gets in there. My 2015 with 107k miles must be really cruddy! I don't plan on taking the manifold off and cleaning though until it starts running a little rough....... Manifold removal I don't consider preventive maintenance :)

Good news is when you get around to it manifold removal is maybe 15 minutes with an electric ratchet. Super easy.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is when you get around to it manifold removal is maybe 15 minutes with an electric ratchet. Super easy.

nice. I think I’ll wait until 150k and do a valve cleaning then. Truck is ins fine now and still gets good mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne