Crank no start after fillup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncampion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK all you diagnosticans, working on 08 Denali 6.2 AWD. Just recently started having a problem where after filling the tank the engine cranks but won't start
After ranking for 20 - 30 seconds it does finally start. No problem if only a partial fill up only when filled to the nozzle shut off. Otherwise car runs perfectly. No codes. Any ideas, it's making me very nervous. Thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When it does this, have you tried using clear flood mode, by flooring the accelerator, thereby turning off the injectors? It might be flooding, and that could be a leaky injector or a bad fuel pressure regulator, or maybe other things.

What do your short- and long-term fuel trims look like?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem usually caused when filling up and the pump "clicks" off automatically, then the person continues to try and force more gasoline in. Do the flood start procedure as Fless described previously and replace the vapor cannister purge valve on intake – ACDelco# 214-1680 - $27 online

Purge valve.jpg

BJ1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a common problem usually caused when filling up and the pump "clicks" off automatically, then the person continues to try and force more gasoline in. Do the flood start procedure as Fless described previously and replace the vapor cannister purge valve on intake – ACDelco# 214-1680 - $27 online

View attachment 374092
I’m having a very similar issue with my 2013 Denali. It usually starts ok after fill up but will, most of the time, rough idle then stall. Normally it will be good on the second start. Changed the solenoid with no luck. I’m considering trying the vent valve next. I read that they are a common failure part on GMs. I would expect a code to come up though, but nothing. I only got the gas cap a few time, but I confident it’s good. Any suggestions?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @donjetman said, except that if not topped off, then what, but if damage is done from previous top off and not topped off after, could still have problem. What I dont understand, is why the valve would not allow the engine to fire off. Should fire off and then maybe run bad but to not fire off, well I am sceptic. Could be wrong and if am, please explain. I also want to see if clear flood mode allows it to start when the problem occurs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having a very similar issue with my 2013 Denali. It usually starts ok after fill up but will, most of the time, rough idle then stall. Normally it will be good on the second start. Changed the solenoid with no luck. I’m considering trying the vent valve next. I read that they are a common failure part on GMs. I would expect a code to come up though, but nothing. I only got the gas cap a few time, but I confident it’s good. Any suggestions?
tighten gas cap is code for "small vacuum leak" after that it throws a check engine, so it might be your other valve/solenoid, there is a small one on the intake also

BJ1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

View attachment 374092
I’m having a very similar issue with my 2013 Denali. It usually starts ok after fill up but will, most of the time, rough idle then stall. Normally it will be good on the second start. Changed the solenoid with no luck. I’m considering trying the vent valve next. I read that they are a common failure part on GMs. I would expect a code to come up though, but nothing. I only got the gas cap a few time, but I confident it’s good. Any suggestions
tighten gas cap is code for "small vacuum leak" after that it throws a check engine, so it might be your other valve/solenoid, there is a small one on the intake also
so it finally started giving me the P0455 code for large leak and I went ahead and replaced the vent valve by the gas tank. Overall, pretty easier repair. Spent more time dropping the spare since it was rusted a bit in place. Replaced yesterday and no code yet. I’ll keep you guys posted. I’m very curious if this will solve the issue of stalling after fueling.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having a very similar issue with my 2013 Denali. It usually starts ok after fill up but will, most of the time, rough idle then stall. Normally it will be good on the second start. Changed the solenoid with no luck. I’m considering trying the vent valve next. I read that they are a common failure part on GMs. I would expect a code to come up though, but nothing. I only got the gas cap a few time, but I confident it’s good. Any suggestions

so it finally started giving me the P0455 code for large leak and I went ahead and replaced the vent valve by the gas tank. Overall, pretty easier repair. Spent more time dropping the spare since it was rusted a bit in place. Replaced yesterday and no code yet. I’ll keep you guys posted. I’m very curious if this will solve the issue of stalling after fueling.
takes about 3 days of hot/cold cycling if the code stays away after that then you might be good to go.

BJ1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
takes about 3 days of hot/cold cycling if the code stays away after that then you might be good to go.
Nope. The code came back. Vapor/Charcoal canister next? When I did the valve, I notice that the canister was wet around the seams. Dry everywhere else. I’ve never seen that before. What would cause that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. The code came back. Vapor/Charcoal canister next? When I did the valve, I notice that the canister was wet around the seams. Dry everywhere else. I’ve never seen that before. What would cause that?
supposedly overfilling, but I don't know if that is true or not, I would do the canister and the solenoid that goes on the engine intake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts