Cracked Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codygoodwin253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been combing through this thread and many others and there seems to be a ton of conflicting opinions; is there a cap/cover/skin option that goes over the existing dash? Or is it best to replace the entire plastic unit? Thanks in advance.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been combing through this thread and many others and there seems to be a ton of conflicting opinions; is there a cap/cover/skin option that goes over the existing dash? Or is it best to replace the entire plastic unit? Thanks in advance.
There are covers, like Dashskin, that get good reviews. And a case can be made that a replacement dash is better. It depends on your priorities...

Dashskin:
- Less expensive
- Easier install
- Proven to last a long time
- Looks less attractive than OEM
- Interferes with future dash removal if ever needed

OEM:
- Much more expensive, especially with shipping
- Much more work to install
- Some say even revised version can still crack
- Best appearance, since it's OEM
- Future dash removal unchanged

What are your priorities?

Codygoodwin253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are covers, like Dashskin, that get good reviews. And a case can be made that a replacement dash is better. It depends on your priorities...

Dashskin:
- Less expensive
- Easier install
- Proven to last a long time
- Looks less attractive than OEM
- Interferes with future dash removal if ever needed

OEM:
- Much more expensive, especially with shipping
- Much more work to install
- Some say even revised version can still crack
- Best appearance, since it's OEM
- Future dash removal unchanged

What are your priorities?
Thank you for the great reply and explanation; truthfully my main priority is really just getting rid of the rattling that is currently prominent due to the multiple sections being cracked. If i could get the noise to go away i care much less about what it looks/feels like.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great reply and explanation; truthfully my main priority is really just getting rid of the rattling that is currently prominent due to the multiple sections being cracked. If i could get the noise to go away i care much less about what it looks/feels like.
If you don’t care what it looks like, get a cover. They glue in place and will hold the cracked parts so they don’t rattle if you use enough silicone or whatever they instruct you to use.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know anyone was saying this? I've never seen one crack a second time and I've been working on these trucks since they were new so I've replaced tons of these.
I have never heard of the revised ones cracking either.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know anyone was saying this? I've never seen one crack a second time and I've been working on these trucks since they were new so I've replaced tons of these.
Admittedly, I've got no direct evidence either, which is why I chose the words I did. When someone posts that "fact" it's always someone they know. I ask for proof, and it never materializes. So hopefully it doesn't really happen.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I've got no direct evidence either, which is why I chose the words I did. When someone posts that "fact" it's always someone they know. I ask for proof, and it never materializes. So hopefully it doesn't really happen.
Why mention it at all then if you don’t know if it’s true ?

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why mention it at all then if you don’t know if it’s true ?
So someone I've never even met could bust my balls about it, apparently. I have read that it happens, leading me to be suspicious. I felt it was worth mentioning, provided I couched my statement in such a way as to convey it was merely spoken about. Thus the "some say" part of my statement. I'm not alone in my suspicion. Look at how many reinforce their replacements with epoxy, or add support under the center speaker.

Last edited: