Cost of used Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to sell my 08 YXL to Carmax but for sheets and giggles I put in on FB market and it sold w/in a few hours to the first person who looked at it. I made a bit more than I would have at Carmax. While I could have held out for more money but I am a believer in that your first profit is you best profit and your first loss is your best loss. It is gone.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 2002 that I paid $4,300 for a year and a few months ago for $6,000 with 206K. Was listed for one day. Probably could have gotten more, knowing how quickly it sold, but I'm happy to take the $6K knowing it's been sold to someone who will appreciate it, not abuse it and fail to maintain it.

CarMax offer was $3,400. Carvana offer was $1,800. I did fine.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, sold my JEEP GC private party within hours on FB marketplace for more than dealer or carmax would offer. Dealer lots in our area are pretty thin with vehicles,
new and used... and no real negotiation offered...

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the market you live in.. Locally here in Denver, the market is literally burning hot for the TYE.

There are TYE available, but at what I think are stupid crazy prices. I limited my search to SWB TYE, and wanting the most upscale I could get with a price cap of 11000. All I found was TYE for 10,000 plus, that all had OVER, like well OVER, 200k miles. And what I did find for less than 10k, needed seat covers, engine work, tranny work, or body work (or all the above).

When I searched outside of Denver, the market opened up greatly for much better trucks, with much lower miles.

Luckily, I didnt have to go to far, Salt Lake City, only 526 miles away, where I found my 2006 Escalade with 80k miles, and paid 9900 for it. Needed tires immediately, so theres 1100 bucks. So I got it for the 11000 price limit I was at.

The big thing I can say to anyone looking for a TYE, look outside of your immediate market. Flights are cheap right now, cost me $29.99 to fly from Denver to Salt Lake (on the plane I got upgraded to first class for free!). Dealer picked me up from the airport, gave me a full tank of gas. I needed to put a half tank in to make it home. Add some road food into the total. 8 hours, and 70ish bucks, and shes home.

Autotempest found me all the trucks I was looking for. Great website.

Last edited:

pologreendenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The lack of inventory right now is downright frustrating. ALOT of 07s and 11s with high mileage at sketchy used car lots if you dont have more than 30 to play with. Im even seeing previous generation fetching 12-20k. (im looking at a clean yukon 2500 XL 4x4 with the 8.1 but its freakin almost 30k)

I was hoping that with gas prices rising people wouldnt be wanting the 6.0 or 6.2s.

I have had over a half dozen 2001-2006 era tahoe/sierra/silverados...ive rented and enjoyed 2012 tahoe LT several times however i felt the 5.3 was lacking power a bit compared to what i like now.

Everything i have read says get the 6.2 if you go 2007-2014, but was told to avoid 07 years specifically. Ive been looking at several 2010-2012 yukon denali with around 100k mileage and they are aroud 18-24k......I refuse to settle for a 5.3 unless its in a 03-06 spotless z71 tahoe or suburban. Im also looking at 03-06 denali with the 6.0 but generally find abused vehicles in states of disrepair. I miss my immaculate 03 z71 tahoe, bought for 18k with 50k mileage in 2009 at the hayward auto auction with my dealer connection, i sold her for 12k in 2012 with 110k miles on it. Now im looking and the same damn z71s that are in well kept condition are the same exact price i sold for almost ten years ago. Back in 2012 i was shopping for a used 07 z71 tahoe and i remember them costing around 25-30k still for the cheapest ones.

Dont even get me started on my tundra, paid 43k brand new 2016 and sold it recently before this crazy car price increase for 21k. The same exact trucks are listing for 35-45k. I went back to toyota last week and asked what the same exact 2021 tundra sr5 trd doublecab runs new and it was 56k FML.....for an outdated half ton toyota. The dodge dealership new 1500s were all 60-80k.

I still think that right now, going with an SUV like yukon denali, escalade, is cheaper than going for a silverado or sierra of same year and trim package.

pologreendenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Luckily, I didnt have to go to far, Salt Lake City, only 526 miles away, where I found my 2006 Escalade with 80k miles, and paid 9900 for it. Needed tires immediately, so theres 1100 bucks. So I got it for the 11000 price limit I was at.

Autotempest found me all the trucks I was looking for. Great website.

good advice, im finding much more inventory and reasonable pricing in reno nevada right now on most trucks/suvs versus sacramento and bay area which is just out of control. even in the boonie towns like Yuba city and oroville new tahoe/silverado/yukon etc are all hitting for 60+, just priced out a 2021 suburban and it was 66k which is far above the 50k or so these were stickered at back in 2006.

Good score on the 06 escalade! I never wanted an escalade due to the flashy trim but since that motor is so much better than a 5.3 im thinking of going escalade with chrome delete. They still kind of stick out though and scream "drug dealer!" lol, z71 or dirtymax you just look like a construction worker

pologreendenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same here, sold my JEEP GC private party within hours on FB marketplace for more than dealer or carmax would offer. Dealer lots in our area are pretty thin with vehicles,
new and used... and no real negotiation offered...
of ALL the cars i own my jeep GC eco diesel seems like a lemon no one wants to touch, been through more recalls than i can count, currently in class action lawsuit hoping for a small check, GCs go for so much brand new but the value plummets. Im a CJDR fan too i love my 5.7 hemi 300S more than i loved any girlfriend and ive been eyeing Rams but the prices are out of this world. Durango SRT is also a bit excessive right now, so i am back looking at old trusty 03-07 generation chevy/gmc, hestitant to take the plunge into the 07-14s due to hearing they have way more problems and cost more to fix.

pologreendenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a tahoe, but related...

Bought my 2003 duramax 4x4 GMC Sierra SLT longbed super clean only 66k miles for only $16,999 in 2013, i kind of got her below market because the dealership had miscorrectly listed it as a 6.0 v8 for some reason online but i saw the duramax logo and ran down there quick. I put 60k hard miles on that gal over the next six years, she was my primary work truck on construction projects in the foothills so fair amount of beating. I sold the truck for almost the same price i paid in 2019, got 15k cash she was still low mileage duramax even though she needed glowplugs. Right now in 2021 its like the cost is the same, used diesels from cummins to duramax from the early 2000s are going for 20-30k its mind boggling. 2016 dodge ram cummins 2500hd was 45k brand new and truck is the same cost used right now, while 2021s go for 80+

inflation is real!! i am sick of hearing of the damn chip shortage, every dealer salesman mentions it i read the F*$*$king news. I picked a bad time to shop for a gas guzzling SUV....