Coolant Reservoir Clean Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any effective way to clean out the Coolant Reservoir of the brown stains from being 18 years old? I have it out of the Tahoe currently and tried hot water and Simple Green but none of the brown discoloration residue released from the walls of the reservoir? Anyone found an effective cleaner for this vs just replacing it? Thanks.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about that stuff they use to get rust off houses in FL? C.L.R.
You can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, grocery stores.

Might be worth a try filling with some of that and letting it soak a bit.

I would try that only, if the tank has been removed from the vehicle... But maybe it would work?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about that stuff they use to get rust off houses in FL? C.L.R.
You can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, grocery stores.

Might be worth a try filling with some of that and letting it soak a bit.

I would try that only, if the tank has been removed from the vehicle... But maybe it would work?
Also, might try bottle brush along with which ever cleaner. I would have thought simple green would have worked I used that on 1985 K Blazer and cleaned most of it didn't get it like new but could see fluid level very good,

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I shoved a pressure washer in mine and got it clean enough for my needs. It wasn't particularly grimy in the first place though.
If yours is nasty, just drop a new one in there. The time and effort (and chemical cost) to clean off buildup from bad coolant is more than the cost of just plunking a fresh piece in there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any effective way to clean out the Coolant Reservoir of the brown stains from being 18 years old? I have it out of the Tahoe currently and tried hot water and Simple Green but none of the brown discoloration residue released from the walls of the reservoir? Anyone found an effective cleaner for this vs just replacing it? Thanks.
I bought a new one to "clean" mine. No chemicals!

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies here. Is there any problem with the cheap $30 Dorman replacement tank? I looked at OEM GM on RockAuto and it looks like the OEM part is ~$75. I've read that certain Dorman parts are a no no, like their coolant line T's for the heater core lines because they are cheap and break. Anyone heard the same about the $30 coolant reservoir or is this something to only buy OEM? Good thread here with BTDT replies. Thanks again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies here. Is there any problem with the cheap $30 Dorman replacement tank? I looked at OEM GM on RockAuto and it looks like the OEM part is ~$75. I've read that certain Dorman parts are a no no, like their coolant line T's for the heater core lines because they are cheap and break. Anyone heard the same about the $30 coolant reservoir or is this something to only buy OEM? Good thread here with BTDT replies. Thanks again.
I'm not going to risk it to save $30, I bought OE from RockAuto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts