Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taxman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last week I noticed coolant on the ground. It does not appear that any of the hoses were leaking so I replaced the water pump (vehicle as 190k miles so it was probably due for a new one anyway). After installing the new pump, I noticed a slow leak that appears to be coming from the thermostat housing. I installed a new thermostat when the new water pump was installed. To be honest, I am not sure that is not where the initial leak was coming from. I installed a new gasket when the new thermostat was installed. The thermostat bolts are torqued to the proper spec (in fact, they are a bit) more because when I noticed the leak, I tightened them down a bit more. I am hesitant to tighten them down any more for fear of snapping off the head. Any ideas why it would be leaking?

Thanks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a gasket or RTV? Some folks use both. The housing can get a little uneven over time. Don’t tighten them more try what I mentioned and make sure both surfaces are perfectly clean before applying

OP
OP
T

taxman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you use a gasket or RTV? Some folks use both. The housing can get a little uneven over time. Don’t tighten them more try what I mentioned and make sure both surfaces are perfectly clean before applying

I only used the supplied thermostat gasket. No RTV. I will give that a try.

Thanks

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I only used the supplied thermostat gasket. No RTV. I will give that a try.

Thanks
Replace the housing/gasket and use your new thermostat. JMO, RTV should never be used in wet environments whether oil/coolant/fuel. They make sealants designed for oil/coolant/fuel. RTV in any color or marketing ploy is not a sealant for "wet" environments. just look at any filter screen of any place it's used and it will prove my opinion. Clean,dry,flat and evenly torqued will work every time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand of water pump did you use? If it's not ACDelco or Gates or similar I would suspect the supplied gasket. Try a new brand-name gasket and torque the water pump bolts in a criss-cross pattern and only to the specified torque. Over tightening only causes more trouble/leaking.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on rtv if that’s all you use but a thin layer spread on the gasket helps it hold in place and seal well jmho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd