Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casting Number 706 and 862
Head: 1999+ LM4 4.8L / LM7 5.3 Liter Truck
Material: Aluminimum
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 61.15cc
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Intake Port Volume: 200cc
Exhaust Port Volume: 70cc
Intake Valve Diameter: 1.89 inches
Exhaust Valve Diameter: 1.55 inches

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are the same pretty much. Just different casting numbers is what I deduced from a quick google search

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
UPDATE: I had an engine swapped in and it's finally back up and running better than ever! I want to thank each and every one of you that helped guide me through this. I would've been completely lost without you guys.

The engine is a remanufactured 5.3L by ATK. I've driven it for about 300 miles so far and am pretty happy with the slight power increase over the old one that had 206k miles. Although, if I had to do it again I'd probably go with an L33 or a 6.0L. I couldn't find a remanufactured L33 and the 6.0L was a little out of my price range though. I also haven't noticed any better gas mileage so far. The new engine has 706 heads and the old one had 862's so I'm wondering what the difference is between those.

So, by now there shouldn't be any bad Castech heads getting remanufactured out there, right? That would suck for that to happen again.
Congrats. Always nice to have a new motor driving your rig. Hopefully you'll get another 200k trouble free miles out of it.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I had an engine swapped in and it's finally back up and running better than ever! I want to thank each and every one of you that helped guide me through this. I would've been completely lost without you guys.

The engine is a remanufactured 5.3L by ATK. I've driven it for about 300 miles so far and am pretty happy with the slight power increase over the old one that had 206k miles. Although, if I had to do it again I'd probably go with an L33 or a 6.0L. I couldn't find a remanufactured L33 and the 6.0L was a little out of my price range though. I also haven't noticed any better gas mileage so far. The new engine has 706 heads and the old one had 862's so I'm wondering what the difference is between those.

So, by now there shouldn't be any bad Castech heads getting remanufactured out there, right? That would suck for that to happen again.

Congrats on the swap and refresh! Do you mind sharing what the reman cost you, both for the engine itself and labor cost for the swap? Where are you located?

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect to easily get 200k from this engine. The original one made it to 206k with zero issues whatsoever until I discovered the infamous cracked heads.

I don't mind sharing. After the core return the reman engine cost $2500, shipping included for both ways. It has a 3 year/100k mile warranty that also pays for labor costs.
The labor I feel like I got a great deal on. It cost $1400 including new misc parts like a radiator, thermostat, block heater, oil, filter, coolant, etc. One of the best parts was that I couldn't even tell that they'd been in there. No paint scratches, oil smudges, left over little parts, nothing. Everything just looked perfect which is perfect because I'm a perfectionist. Since the labor was the best deal I could find I expected it to look hurried and sloppily done. I'm in Billings, MT

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I expect to easily get 200k from this engine. The original one made it to 206k with zero issues whatsoever until I discovered the infamous cracked heads.

I don't mind sharing. After the core return the reman engine cost $2500, shipping included for both ways. It has a 3 year/100k mile warranty that also pays for labor costs.
The labor I feel like I got a great deal on. It cost $1400 including new misc parts like a radiator, thermostat, block heater, oil, filter, coolant, etc. One of the best parts was that I couldn't even tell that they'd been in there. No paint scratches, oil smudges, left over little parts, nothing. Everything just looked perfect which is perfect because I'm a perfectionist. Since the labor was the best deal I could find I expected it to look hurried and sloppily done. I'm in Billings, MT
Sounds like you got a great deal. Most of these warranties cover just the motor if it fails and not labor.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal. Most of these warranties cover just the motor if it fails and not labor.

Well it only covers up to $60 an hour for labor. I realize that's usually not a lot however, the place I had it done at charges $75 an hour. Still a good deal I think.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well it only covers up to $60 an hour for labor. I realize that's usually not a lot however, the place I had it done at charges $75 an hour. Still a good deal I think.
Yeah, something is definitely better then $0. Hopefully you won't ever need to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne