Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t have put it any better myself. I just don’t want to do the work and spend the money on this one then have something else go out down lower more than likely.

Makes sense. Just asking since the reman engine cost is probably pretty darn close to the value of a 14 year old +- Tahoe. If you plan to keep it forever, then that matters less.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Makes sense. Just asking since the reman engine cost is probably pretty darn close to the value of a 14 year old +- Tahoe. If you plan to keep it forever, then that matters less.
Ehh. There's a case to be made

I wouldn't do that work to sell it as you wouldn't see the return on investment. But by the same token, a new vehicle has its own costs associated with it - depreciation, particularly if new, cost of repairs if used (NO ONE gets rid of a perfectly good vehicle), insurance, gas, etc etc.

However, if you're planning on keeping it, particularly if everything else is in good condition, then the net equation here is cost per mile.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news in a way, but for you it confirms the need for engine replacement, which you were planning.

I just did intake gaskets. Those can leak coolant right?

Unfortunately, we've come along way from this. Sorry about the latest news.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is some of the same results I had in the oil analysis. Have you changed the oil recently? If yes, what did you observe with oil pressure readings? With mine, I noticed a drastic improvement in oil pressure readings. A little over a week ago as a Hail Mary move, I went the "Bars Leaks" route as a temp fix until I can find a deal on a replacement or a set of heads. So far, I have seen my oil pressure return to the higher values, my water usage go to nil, and my lifter chatter completely go away 100%. There is linkage between water usage, fouled oil, and lifter chatter on my 04 Tahoe with 277k. Yours may vary.

There certainly is a case to be made for the new or replacement engine, but it all comes down to your long term plan for the vehicle. I am actively looking for a replacement low mileage Tahoe in the 03-06 range. Nothing has turned up yet that is worthy of buying. If the replacement engine, or a good set of heads pop up first, then I will properly fix my existing Tahoe and hope for another 270k out of her. I have been surprised how resilient the 5.3 engine is, even with the flogging mine has taken over the last couple months with water, crapped out oil, and limping by type repairs. So far, it's taking a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ;)

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least I'll be able to sleep knowing I'm picking one of the correct choices. This engine is hereby condemned and it's time for a heart transplant.

Attachments

• 09 YUKON-180820.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I had an engine swapped in and it's finally back up and running better than ever! I want to thank each and every one of you that helped guide me through this. I would've been completely lost without you guys.

The engine is a remanufactured 5.3L by ATK. I've driven it for about 300 miles so far and am pretty happy with the slight power increase over the old one that had 206k miles. Although, if I had to do it again I'd probably go with an L33 or a 6.0L. I couldn't find a remanufactured L33 and the 6.0L was a little out of my price range though. I also haven't noticed any better gas mileage so far. The new engine has 706 heads and the old one had 862's so I'm wondering what the difference is between those.

So, by now there shouldn't be any bad Castech heads getting remanufactured out there, right? That would suck for that to happen again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan