Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your steering and alignment? It's no sports car, but mine didn't seem to give a shit how fast it went unless the road was garbage with a side wind

it all feels just fine, its just a sloppy boat. i would really hate to have to quickly change lanes going 100 or more.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Anyone know a good place to find prices on a new crate engine or is the dealer my best bet? Probably looking for one from GM. I don't know if that's the direction I'm going yet, just want to compare prices.
I don't think I'd get it from gm, only because of the pricing. Really expensive. Try to google crate motors.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you know how it is when you're young. I did 145 on rte 80!
LOL. Where did you have room for that? LOL

We did it on the Sawgrass Expressway after it first opened and was rarely used and at night or weekend mornings. We used to run on it before it opened too! And the Turnpike at night and the Beeline Highway in my '85 while racing an RX-7.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to my dealer about a 5.3L remanufactured crate engine. I figured they'd be a good starting point. The price of the engine wasn't astronomical BUT labor to swap in the new one was. For $3,000 I'd consider doing it myself instead and swapping an engine is pretty intimidating to me.

I found out some interesting things when I was talking to both the service and parts departments:

-The new reman engine has a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. That seems pretty good to me.

-I asked about if GM has addressed the cracking head issue. They told me according to TSBs and superseded part numbers of the heads, the heads have been revised to prevent cracking. Who knows if they're able to fix the production heads or if you have to buy brand new heads though. They said the crate engines all have the latest heads though. Although I don't know if that applies to reman crate engines? I don't know exactly how that works.

-As best as the parts department could tell, both flex and non-flex versions of the 5.3L engine share the same part number. That makes sense to me because as far as I know everything that's different about the flex fuel versions is outside the engine like fuel injectors/rails and a flex fuel sensor.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might just be the effects of the longer wheelbase but in my suburban I feel comfortable cruising at 85-90 on the highway and that's with 260k and mostly original suspension

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I just spoke to my dealer about a 5.3L remanufactured crate engine. I figured they'd be a good starting point. The price of the engine wasn't astronomical BUT labor to swap in the new one was. For $3,000 I'd consider doing it myself instead and swapping an engine is pretty intimidating to me.

I found out some interesting things when I was talking to both the service and parts departments:

-The new reman engine has a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. That seems pretty good to me.

-I asked about if GM has addressed the cracking head issue. They told me according to TSBs and superseded part numbers of the heads, the heads have been revised to prevent cracking. Who knows if they're able to fix the production heads or if you have to buy brand new heads though. They said the crate engines all have the latest heads though. Although I don't know if that applies to reman crate engines? I don't know exactly how that works.

-As best as the parts department could tell, both flex and non-flex versions of the 5.3L engine share the same part number. That makes sense to me because as far as I know everything that's different about the flex fuel versions is outside the engine like fuel injectors/rails and a flex fuel sensor.
I'm sure that warranty only comes into effect if an authorized dealer or installation center does the install. Pretty sure if you or a regular garage does it the warranty will be voided. I could be wrong tho. My buddy did my install for $500 plus parts. That's old one out, new one installed and running. Check with that dealer about what will void that 3yr/100,000 warranty.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that warranty only comes into effect if an authorized dealer or installation center does the install. Pretty sure if you or a regular garage does it the warranty will be voided. I could be wrong tho. My buddy did my install for $500 plus parts. That's old one out, new one installed and running. Check with that dealer about what will void that 3yr/100,000 warranty.

I will look into that, thanks. Do you think I could have it installed by a mechanic and they'd honor the warranty?

This might be a dumb question but how do I know if I have an engine oil cooler?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I will look into that, thanks. Do you think I could have it installed by a mechanic and they'd honor the warranty?

This might be a dumb question but how do I know if I have an engine oil cooler?
Not sure about the mechanic. If so I'd think he'd have to be GM certified or something similar. I'm not really sure about an oil cooler. I don't think our Hoes came stock with one, or was optional--again, not sure tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts