Coolant bypass hose?

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Maximus1, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Maximus1

Maximus1 Full Access Member

Name:
    Tom
    Other than not heating the throttle body, if I block off the coolant bypass ports will it hurt anything else? I live in Oklahoma and it doesn’t get cold enough for the throttle body to be heated. The metal hose is leaking and it’s cheaper for me to block them off than buying a new metal hose because I already have a set of plugs from a different engine.

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Sometimes A Dumbass Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Bypassing is actually a popular mod. No issues with bypassing, not sure about blocking. Just use a short hose to connect the 2 sides together.

3. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    I've never noticed--which hose are you talking about?

4. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    It's the small coolant hoses that attach to your throttle body. They're at the bottom front, one on each side. Coolant flows through the TB to supposedly heat it for some stupid reason. Guys usually just remove the hoses from the TB and connect them together with a straight fitting to make removing the TB easier for cleaning since the hoses do nothing but make it hard to remove the TB for cleaning.

https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/throttle-body-coolant-bypass-mod.202853/

5. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    Used to do the same thing with the tpi motors. Supposedly it's to prevent the tb from icing up in cold weather. I deleted it and never had an issue, and I'm in NJ.

Rocket Man likes this.
  6. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    The hose is cheap. And just because it doesn't get cold where you are doesn't mean the TB won't get cold. Remember, it's an obstruction to airflow. You have a gas at atmospheric pressure, then expanding as it goes to lower pressure, absorbing heat in the process. The resultant air is cooler than you think

7. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    GM only did that for a few years; the newer vehicles don't have that feature so even they deemed it unnecessary. Nobody that has done the bypass mod has ever had an issue no matter where they live.