Converting back the Z55 Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duuuuuude. I've missed out on this thread or I would've spoke up sooner. I think I still have all four of my shock/strut connectors and would've sent 'em to you.
Thank you for your offer. About an hour ago, I said 'screw it', and I ordered a second batch of electrical connector shells. If this 'make your own' effort fails, I'll reach out to you with photos of what I need. Again, I do thank you for your offer, though.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it, my second order of a set of electrical connector shells arrived on one day, and the original 'lost' order of a set of electrical connector shells arrived the following day. So, I ended up with 140 electrical connector shells, when I only needed 2. But, at least I had what I needed. I assembled the pigtail assemblies needed for the front struts, using these electrical connector shells and the appropriate contact pins and 16 gauge wire.

I completed the electrical portion of the suspension conversion back to the OEM Z55 specification, and now this project is complete. Another thanks to @TollKeeper for his help in acquiring some of the required electrical connectors at the salvage yard, and thanks to all of the rest of you folks who followed this project and provided input. Very much appreciated.

My understanding is that these electrical connector shells are also used on other parts of the electrical systems for the GMT900 platform. So, if anyone is interested in having spares of these electrical connector shells, and contact pins, just let me know, and I will send them to you for free.

ScreenHunter_399 Aug. 31 10.55.jpg

ScreenHunter_400 Aug. 31 10.55.jpg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As luck would have it, my second order of a set of electrical connector shells arrived on one day, and the original 'lost' order of a set of electrical connector shells arrived the following day. So, I ended up with 140 electrical connector shells, when I only needed 2. But, at least I had what I needed. I assembled the pigtail assemblies needed for the front struts, using these electrical connector shells and the appropriate contact pins and 16 gauge wire.

I completed the electrical portion of the suspension conversion back to the OEM Z55 specification, and now this project is complete. Another thanks to @TollKeeper for his help in acquiring some of the required electrical connectors at the salvage yard, and thanks to all of the rest of you folks who followed this project and provided input. Very much appreciated.

My understanding is that these electrical connector shells are also used on other parts of the electrical systems for the GMT900 platform. So, if anyone is interested in having spares of these electrical connector shells, and contact pins, just let me know, and I will send them to you for free.

View attachment 349083

View attachment 349084
If you make up pigtails you can probably sell them on ebay.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the follow ups to see how it rides!

Glad we could help with the restoration back to stock, hopefully it pays dividends.

My Z55 to Z95 is going OK thus far. But I think my front shocks need replacement maybe.. They arent leaking fluid, and I dont have any "suspension" service lights on. But the spring rebound in the front is a LOT over the rear. I dont know if this is just the nature of the beast because of the torsion springs, or my shocks, or? I still have my OEM Z55 shocks on the front.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia
How does it ride now?
I only took a very quick ride after completing the installation, to see if any codes got thrown, and there were none. I checked out the suspension with the Tech 2, and the damper actuators comm's were working. I'll take the truck out for a more substantial test ride soon, including my test cloverleaf, and report back in this thread.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I only took a very quick ride after completing the installation, to see if any codes got thrown, and there were none. I checked out the suspension with the Tech 2, and the damper actuators comm's were working. I'll take the truck out for a more substantial test ride soon, including my test cloverleaf, and report back in this thread.
Did you do a trim cal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy