Converting back the Z55 Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Here are the more important questions.

How is the ride compared to before?

Was it worth the headache and expense for the difference in ride quality?

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the more important questions.

How is the ride compared to before?

Was it worth the headache and expense for the difference in ride quality?
I'll need to test the ride difference/quality out for the next few weeks. It is DEFINITELY much better that the original non-Z55 shocks that the previous owner installed.

From a headache perspective, I really needed to get my hands dirty with a project on this truck. It had been too long since I got elbow deep into a vehicle project, so from that standpoint, it was well worth it. I also increased my knowledge of working with the Tech 2, and learned more about programming the control modules on these trucks.

From an expense perspective, I look at it as 'pay now, or pay later'. 2 of the 4 shocks were leaking, 1 of the ball joints had the rubber boot protecting the grease missing, and the rest of the suspension had 145,000 miles on them, so they were approaching the end of their service lives.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@kbuskill You had asked about my final assessment of this project, regarding whether or not it was worth the time and expense converting back to the Z55 suspension, and I advised you that I would respond after driving the truck for a while.

I am now in a position to advise you that it was indeed worth the time and expense. Was it a night and day difference? No, but it was a very noticeable difference, particularly when going through winding roads and rough dirt roads. Admittedly, some of that difference may have been due to the fact that 2 of the 4 shocks were leaking, prior to the project.

The ride is incredibly smooth on good asphalt surfaces, and it is smoother than it previously was on rough dirt roads. I find handling to be somewhat improved on asphalt surfaces, and I find a major improvement on rough dirt roads. The truck easily traverses washboard dirt roads, and holds it position arounds turns on the washboard dirt roads

The responsiveness to changes in direction on winding roads is very good; but some of that may also be due to the Hellwig sway bars. As both @MO VietVet and I have previously stated, there is virtually no roll of the body of the truck when cornering after installing the Hellwig sway bars. My son told me that my truck has less body roll in turns than his VW TDI does.

I added another 2 mph to my test cloverleaf turn, after re-installing the Z55 suspension.

I am happy with the results.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it was this thread or not that was asking if there was a difference between the Z55 and Z95 and there is. All four shocks are different part numbers between my 2012 Yukon Denali and 2013 Escalade ESV. I cannot comment on if I feel any difference because the rear shocks on the Escalade are completely blown.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman is hit or miss, it just depends on the part.

As an example, I wouldn't trust their plastic heater hose T-connectors BUT they are the only company who makes an aluminum Y-connector for the hoses between the water pump, surge tank, and heater core... and it is a solid piece and eliminates the plastic connector in that location.
Have a part number for that?