Constant ticking @ top of engine... lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
@Professor L Gee I ran a Range but had to remove it to pass smog and the first time AFM turned back on I had A lifter collapse, the lifter ended up sorting itself out and I was able to get 6 more months out of it but ended up going with a blackbear tune to turn off AFM in the computer. HP tuners is also a good one I’ve heard, a lot more DIY than the black bear tune.
How much time/driving was there between you removing the Range and your AFM kicking back in? And how do they do smog where you live? (Here in NC it's all OBD2 scanning, no actual engine revving like in MD)
Awakening after a long hibernation is what concerns me about "temporarily" disabling. Tune it out or delete it!

A lot more, like 98% more DIY. You had better know what you're doing! I still stand by the cheap way of disabling, where applicable: https://www.lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm
Somehow I never heard of that cheap way. Had I known about it before, I would have mailed off my ECM before finishing the work. :rolleyes:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much time/driving was there between you removing the Range and your AFM kicking back in? And how do they do smog where you live? (Here in NC it's all OBD2 scanning, no actual engine revving like in MD)

Somehow I never heard of that cheap way. Had I known about it before, I would have mailed off my ECM before finishing the work. :rolleyes:
@Professor L Gee I live in California so the Smog is pretty standard, OBD2 scanning. The Range AFM disabler prevents your smog monitors from becoming ready so when I went to smog my Tahoe the shop said it looks like I just reset my battery before I brought the Tahoe in and I needed to drive it around for about a week for the smog readiness monitors to complete.

AFM activated as soon as the proper conditions were met shortly after removing the AFM disabler.

@iamdub I wasn’t aware of that service until now, seems like a great value

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@iamdub I wasn’t aware of that service until now, seems like a great value

Yeah, not many know of it. A few from this forum have used their services. IMO, if you can stand to have your car off the road for a few days, it's absolutely worth it. I think the only real downside is for those that can't do any permanent tuning for warranty purposes. For them, they're pretty much limited to a plug-in disabler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne