Considering purchase - Carplay iPhone question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrandTheftAudio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and considering purchasing a 2022 Yukon Denali. Thought I’d ask the experts here for some input:

Test drove a ‘22 today and loved it. Noticed when using CarPlay that the only way to fast forward a song was to hold down FF or RW buttons. When I switched to the vehicle Media/Music feature (outside CarPlay), there was a slide-able time bar (scrub bar). But it did not work with my iPhone 13 Pro. I have 1 and 2 hour long tracks (audiobooks and live music) so easily changing starting point of song is crucial to me.

The dealer also had a 2021 Yukon and I wondered if the infotainment was different - didn’t seem to be. Tried in the ‘21 anyway and the scrub bar worked very well.

Is there some kind of change or new software update that would have impacted this feature? Having a functioning time bar guarantees I’m buying it. If anyone has a 2022, can you please chime in on the scrub bar with your iPhone’s music?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘21 and that’s how I’d fast forward when listening to a podcast (pushing/holding the fast forward button). As far as I know, that’s more of a CarPlay thing as at that point it’s just projecting the phone on the screen using Apple’s interface. It does fast forward faster the longer you hold it down.

At the same time, my old GMC Acadia behaved the same way and I’d only use Bluetooth streaming since it didn’t support wireless CarPlay. I just got used to pushing/holding the fast forward button.

An alternative option might be to ask Siri to fast forward 5 minutes within what you’re listening to. I do know on mine when CarPlay is active I can do the Hey Siri thing to get it to do stuff…thought that’s an option to have it fast forward a set amount.

OP
OP
G

GrandTheftAudio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Micahsd, thanks for your feedback. I had not thought about the Siri idea and will try that. And are you saying in your 21 that when playing off your iphone and switch to Media that you do not have a slide/scrub bar? I didn't follow if that feature wasn't available in yours or you just don't use it. Seemed really strange that it worked in the 21 that I visited, but that the 22 had the feature and it just simply didn't work.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Micahsd, thanks for your feedback. I had not thought about the Siri idea and will try that. And are you saying in your 21 that when playing off your iphone and switch to Media that you do not have a slide/scrub bar? I didn't follow if that feature wasn't available in yours or you just don't use it. Seemed really strange that it worked in the 21 that I visited, but that the 22 had the feature and it just simply didn't work.

I had to check it out for myself. I forgot the 2017 Acadia infotainment system was a different revision compared to what's in the '21 Tahoe. But I'm still not sure how this works on a '22 since it has that Google-integrated interface on it's infotainment system.

On my '21 Tahoe, within CarPlay if I play a Podcast using Apple Podcasts, I'm not able to scrub forward which would be an Apple CarPlay limitation as it's coming from that interface, BUT if I hit the Home button on the Infotainment system to break out of CarPlay, then tap on Audio (which is the built-in App to go to AM/FM/SiriusXM, or my iPhone), the Audio screen will show the same Podcast playing and it will allow me to scrub ahead using the slider bar.

So on a '21, it's possible if you use the actual GM audio interface to do it (CarPlay is still playing the Podcast in the background) and I can easily scrub forward or backwards on that Audio screen...if you need Carplay navigation or need to run another CarPlay app, you can still switch back to the Carplay interface to do that, but if you need to scrub ahead in the audio that's playing, you'd need to do that outside of CarPLay.

I tried to make a video, but every time I did that, the Podcast paused, so the best I can do is provide photos (and yes I apparently need to dust my screen). :)

Attachments

• CarPlay Scrubbing Foward NOT Working.jpg
    CarPlay Scrubbing Foward NOT Working.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 5
  • GM Audio App in Infotainment.jpg
    GM Audio App in Infotainment.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 5
  • GM_Audio Scrubbing Forward.jpg
    GM_Audio Scrubbing Forward.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
G

GrandTheftAudio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to check it out for myself. I forgot the 2017 Acadia infotainment system was a different revision compared to what's in the '21 Tahoe. But I'm still not sure how this works on a '22 since it has that Google-integrated interface on it's infotainment system.

On my '21 Tahoe, within CarPlay if I play a Podcast using Apple Podcasts, I'm not able to scrub forward which would be an Apple CarPlay limitation as it's coming from that interface, BUT if I hit the Home button on the Infotainment system to break out of CarPlay, then tap on Audio (which is the built-in App to go to AM/FM/SiriusXM, or my iPhone), the Audio screen will show the same Podcast playing and it will allow me to scrub ahead using the slider bar.

So on a '21, it's possible if you use the actual GM audio interface to do it (CarPlay is still playing the Podcast in the background) and I can easily scrub forward or backwards on that Audio screen...if you need Carplay navigation or need to run another CarPlay app, you can still switch back to the Carplay interface to do that, but if you need to scrub ahead in the audio that's playing, you'd need to do that outside of CarPLay.

I tried to make a video, but every time I did that, the Podcast paused, so the best I can do is provide photos (and yes I apparently need to dust my screen). :)
Thanks again for your feedback - maybe someone with a 2022 will chime in and let us know with the Google integrated infotainment. Does your 2021 have Alexa? Between Siri, Google, and Alexa, Google is the only one I don't use lol. Can't quite seem to get everything perfect. By the way, saying "Hey Siri fast forward to xx minutes" works. You've changed my life.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for your feedback - maybe someone with a 2022 will chime in and let us know with the Google integrated infotainment. Does your 2021 have Alexa? Between Siri, Google, and Alexa, Google is the only one I don't use lol. Can't quite seem to get everything perfect. By the way, saying "Hey Siri fast forward to xx minutes" works. You've changed my life.
Lol. Good deal on that. :)

I do know there’s an Alexa app as one of the options in the infotainment system on my ‘21 although I’ve never used it. Guessing it would require internet connectivity and I don’t subscribe to the hotspot option through OnStar/AT&T and the hotspot on my iPhone doesn’t work while wireless CarPlay is in use.