Considering an SSV and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I understand the factory pursuit speed rating of 122 for the SSV but my question was about the governed speed? I have tried plenty of times to go faster and mine is governed at 98 mph and will not go any faster no matter what you try.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
That could have been requested by the agency (lawyers) that bought the fleet. I don't think I've ever had my SSV above 85 and I don't really intend to find out what my top speed is. If I felt the need I could always take it to a track on a Saturday night.

HoeLV

Reaction score
Ive been in the market for an obs 2 door Tahoe but came across the SSVs and am wondering if it might be better for what I’m looking for. The pros of the obs Tahoe is that it’s probably more reliable, much easier and cheaper to work on, and has a larger fuel tank. The SSV on the other hand is larger, more powerful and more comfortable.

The two things I’m wondering are first if the SSV ever came with a manual transfer case. Second, why do some of these trucks look more lifted than others? I’m looking at classifieds and there will be 4wd vehicles of the same year with one sitting relative low and the other significantly higher. ?

In regards to the OBS and different heights...
The truck had 2 options for tire size, one dat about an inch higher than the other. Which mine originally had the 265/75 /16 tires. I then put 285/75/16 tires on it. So without lifting it at all it sits about 2" higher than some stock OBS 2 doors

Incognito

Reaction score
From my understating a lot of these were used by Border Patrol and Bureau of Land Management (among others) for off-road applications. They lift the front end up for better clearance. Are you sure you're not looking at PPV trucks and not SSV. The PPV sit lower than the SSV.

stocksj

Reaction score
I'm looking at an Auction 2014 PPV this weekend. The CarFax report list 2 minor front-end accidents with no airbag deployed, 2nd incident list functional damage. Car was repaired and looks good. Could this be a good buy or stay away?

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I'm looking at an Auction 2014 PPV this weekend. The CarFax report list 2 minor front-end accidents with no airbag deployed, 2nd incident list functional damage. Car was repaired and looks good. Could this be a good buy or stay away?
If you're OK with whatever mileage is on it and the rest looks good then I wouldn't worry about the former front end damage. All of these Tahoe's are generally run a bit harder in general than civilian Tahoe's. They all require a bit more attention but most of us consider it a labor of love considering how much of a great vehicle we get for the auction prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9