Considering A 07-09 Avalanche Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering upgrading my daily driver. Although I've owned my current 2000 Tahoe for over 9 years and it's been a tremendously reliable rig, it now has nearly 300,000 miles. Just recently it has started to have some smaller annoying things pop up and I'm reluctant to put any more money/time into it at this point.

One of the things I really didn't like about the Tahoe was the cargo hauling. I do a lot of engine work with my other car so having a pickup bed would be nice at times for hauling dirty stuff. Lately I've really been noticing the Avy's. Not because they're abundant around here, actually quite opposite since they're NOT abundant. I've always been attracted to vehicles that you don't see at every single stop light. The more I see them, the more I'm thinking I need one haha.... Then I jump in this forum and well,,,,, it's really not helping me want one any less..... Lot's of sweet Avy's in here for sure. :)

My next question is, are there any downfalls to these rigs, or items to be aware of, certain years to avoid etc..? I'm really at a $20k budget so probably limited to a 2009 for model year vs price. I'd like to keep at or under 100k miles. I noticed the change from 08 to 09 gets the 6 speed auto. Any downsides to the 6 speed? Reliable?

I've seen some familiar screen names since I've been back in here, so that's cool. Howdy.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Mike

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I have heard that especially from guys who were here in the beginning days. I have seen a drop off due to trucks being sold so members go inactive, one thread questions and out, some just got bored or spend time on Instagram, Facebook, etc...

There are still many regulars that contribute often with new ideas, new build threads and taking the time to answer questions. This site is still the go-to for anything GM SUV related and you won't get beat up like certain other sites.. I still find new info from searches or new questions. @M Hankel

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I have heard that especially from guys who were here in the beginning days. I have seen a drop off due to trucks being sold so members go inactive, one thread questions and out, some just got bored or spend time on Instagram, Facebook, etc...

There are still many regulars that contribute often with new ideas, new build threads and taking the time to answer questions. This site is still the go-to for anything GM SUV related and you won't get beat up like certain other sites.. I still find new info from searches or new questions. @M Hankel

I agree about the facebook thing. I held out getting a FB account for a long long time. Noticed a lot of the forums in general were not as active as they used to be and finally just last year signed up and got a FB account, and just got an Instagram account a couple weeks ago. I still prefer a dedicated forum website to the FB type vehicle pages. My lack of participation here was fueled by the other car/money pit I have lol....

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Yukon XL before and it was great, however i was using the trunk quite often and it would get dirty, smelly and carpets would get stained, eventually got tired of cleaning it all the time.

I then decided if a truck would be a better option, So i went to a local Auto show event they were having back in 2006, I saw this exact model pictured here, I fell in love with it as the hot car model chick was introducing me to the options it had and showing me how a small 5ft bed can convert to a 8ft bed and with storage bins on the side which you can throw some ice and a couple beers in was perfect.
8990._CB192203998_.jpg

I am now on my 3rd Avalanche i have had 06 09 and now a 13, Unfortunately GM have stopped making Avalanche's or id be in a 2017 Avalanche in a heartbeat. Have owned each year for 5 years and have had little or no problems at all, 4 speed and 6 speed seem to be reliable did not have any issues even with lots of hauling and towing. The bed is perfect for my needs can haul tools to building materials with ease, same time being secure, safe and weatherproof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, almost exactly a year later I finally found my perfect Avalanche. I picked up a black 2010 LTZ 4WD. I got super lucky with this one as it has many more desirable options (at least to me they are). For starters, it's got the 6.2l 403hp L9H without the dreaded AFM crap and coupled with the 6L80E. Another bonus is that it has the 14 bolt SF rearend. I'm super happy with it so far even though I've only had it for a littler over a week. Looking forward to some tasteful mods for it. First up, fix that damn dreaded cracked dash that plagues these things,,,, ugh! What was GM thinking putting a heavy ass speaker in the middle of an unsupported plastic dash cover.... ?

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find! So awesome that you found a 6.2 version pretty rare!

Thanks! I did some research and read a post that explained that the Escalade EXTs weren't selling very well in 2010 so GM decided to put some of the 6.2 and 14 bolt rearends into the Avalanches. To me it's a perfect combo as it has all nice powertrain from the Escalades but still able to keep it in 2WD instead of full time AWD like the EXT's. Also, this thing flat out moves for a big girl....

I see you have a 2013 Avalanche. Must be the Black Diamond version?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts