Confusing Starting Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74Pantera

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 PPV. Recently failed to crank. Battery was good and I identified the "click" as coming from the starter solenoid on the starter. Cleaned all the connections and grounds. Jumped the relay in the under-hood fuse box and got the same click. 12+ volts at the battery, at the starter and at the solenoid when key is turned. Assumed it was a bad starter and replaced it but had the same problem 3 days later. Parts guys agreed it sounded like a bad starter problem and I replaced it with a lemon. I replaced the starter a second time with an all new unit. 3 or 4 days later and the same thing. Everything seems to tell me I'm getting power all the way to the starter. What am I missing? Sorry for the long post, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Monitor the voltage at the starter while cranking. I suspect that your positive cable probably is unable to handle the current that the starter needs to crank, and you may need to replace that cable.

Also, clean the ground connection on the engine, I think there is one near the starter, just follow your negative battery cable to the point of contact.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say that you cleaned all connections and ground, can you describe specifically what connections and grounds you cleaned? Perhaps, you missed one.

Also, did you inspect the connectors themselves on the the battery cables (they are known for corroding beneath the insulation close to the connector).

Also, when you say that the battery is good, did you have it load tested on the bench at an auto parts store? A battery can show 12 volts with a volt meter, but not have sufficient amps to power up the starter.

OP
OP

74Pantera

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I should have said it's starting and running right now, but didn't yesterday. I thought I heard a slight delay before it started once or twice before it failed last time.
Anyway, the battery was load tested. I cleaned battery terminals, connections at the starter, solenoid and alternator. Cleaned grounds on the engine block and the cables look clean. I don't see any corrosion near the ends. There's one small negative cable that disappears forward near the radiator that i din't find the other end.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I should have said it's starting and running right now, but didn't yesterday. I thought I heard a slight delay before it started once or twice before it failed last time.
Anyway, the battery was load tested. I cleaned battery terminals, connections at the starter, solenoid and alternator. Cleaned grounds on the engine block and the cables look clean. I don't see any corrosion near the ends. There's one small negative cable that disappears forward near the radiator that i din't find the other end.

You can sometimes get corrosion between the cable and the connector that is crimped/soldered onto it. Just guessing along. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne