Condenser Suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Just an update:

I called GM Customer Service today just to give it a try. Explained everything and they came back to me saying there is a special extended warranty on the condenser and that expires July 2019 / 65K miles. They gave me a case #.
They told me to bring it to a dealership but I will be paying for it out of my own pocket.

I did order the AC Delco condenser today. I'll have my mechanic install it when it arrives.

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
What's the most common parts to fail or leak on these vehicles besides the condenser?

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

If you're reasonably capable with a wrench I would change it my self. I just did mine a while back. Had a shop evacuate the Freon and I took it from there. You better figure about 3-4 hours for sure. Some folks just tip the radiator and condenser back toward the engine which they say is faster. I didn't do that I took it straight up from the top. You have to loosen the cross member and tilt it back then the condenser will slide upwards. If you're going to take the cross member completely out I think you have to remove the headlights.

If you're short on patience and time take it to the shop - otherwise you can save yourself some money.

Also, make sure you replace the line washers which are the small metal/rubber insert washer which go between the lines and the receiver block
on the condenser.

If it the new refrigerant R1234YF (2017 +) be ready for sticker shock when you recharge. The shops around me wanted between $400-$700 just to recharge. I went ahead and bought all the left hand thread gauges and adapters which accommodate 1234. I bought the cans of refrigerant at Advance Auto - $44.00/can. You can get discount codes which should save you 20% or so.

Considering the condenser, gauges and refrigerant I am into for about $425.00.

Hopefully this is helpful.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Online (6/24) it appears that (in my area) A. Zone is at $147.99 and PepBoys is at $110.99 (including an instant $37.99 coupon) .
Product is Spectra Part#: 7-4283. This part number has the receiver/drier included and pre-attached.
I believe these are unpainted aluminum vs. the black that GM installs.
I am tempted to buy one @ $110 to keep in the garage..... that way if I HAVE one, for sure the one in my truck would never fail.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Deff replace filter/dryer when it’s apart. Cheap insurance to avoid contamination entering the system when it’s cracked open for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up using one from Advanced Auto parts and it was the non-painted version. I couldn't get the updated OEM AC Delco version because they were sold out. I think I paid $135.00 or so for it after discounts.

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
I ordered AC Delco # 19383805 and arrived with one of the lines bent. So I'm working with the dealer to get it replaced or refunded.
During the meantime, I ordered another condenser # 19383805 from another dealer and it arrived without any damage but It's thicker. The dealer said the part is a GM part not AC Delco.

Donald Meadows II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It took me awhile to find this condenser Part # 19383805 in stock anywhere. I finally found it at www.originalgmautoparts.com for 124.90. they shipped it out the same day i ordered and even let me use a $5 dollar off coupon (535C when checking out). My truck now blows ice cold in any temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec