Completed E-fan swap on my 2000 Tahoe using Autocoolguy control box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just completed my E-fan swap on my `00 Tahoe. Took about 6 hours from start to finish (I'm in AZ so it's stupid hot in the garage!) I decided to go with the e-fan control box from www.autocoolguy.com instead of the path most have taken doing the flash/programming route.

I been hearing about this device when I started getting interesting in doing the mechanical to e-fan swap. Speaking for myself I like this option. This unit is all solid state. No relays to use and the box handles everything. Granted it's a bit bulky and finding a location required me to make a custom bracket but it was worth it. The controller has "soft start" for the fans, connection for a fail safe switch and connection for A/C. I had the controller for a couple of weeks but finally got it installed Saturday as the OEM `05 Tahoe fans were on backorder and finally arrived last Friday. Performance was more than I could hope for (so far). The Tahoe handled the 115 degree heat very well and it was nice to sit in traffic without eyeballing the heck out of my temp gauges. Here is the YouTube video straight from the creator who can better explain vs me rambling on.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 9

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, $280 for that controller? He’s pretty proud of it I guess but it does make things easier.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, $280 for that controller? He’s pretty proud of it I guess but it does make things easier.
I know it seems like a lot but I got a quote from a tuner about a year ago about doing the ECU programming for my Tahoe for the e-fan swap. I will need to dig through my email for the letter as to who gave me the quote. Anyway I was informed that I would have to pay and have my ECM software updated, because of the age of my vehicle then pay for programming (all together close to $500) not including the relays and fans. This route the controller cost me $280 (good for up to 150 amps) +$149 (fans) and fuses for the fans and I don't have to send my ECM in leaving me without my daily driver. There are other fan control boxes from larger manufactures that are cheaper but I always hear horror stories about them failing often.

Time will tell...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an Autocal from Blackbear Performance with a tune included for about $600, the tune itself was $300 of that. Turning on the pin on the ECM is standard when they do a tune. I could have sold the Autocal after for about what I had in it but I use it for updating my tunes on both my trucks when I make changes like a cam or different size tires or whatever I do. The tunes are upgraded free for life. I bought a used OEM harness/ relay box from a member here for $100 iirc. This way I got a tune for my truck and efans but it was a bit more involved than that box I’m sure. The Autocal programs the ECM through the OBD port and tunes are emailed to me. No down time at all.