Common Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is something seriously wrong with that Navigator if you think it is a dog compared to your 5.3. Those Navigators are at like 450 horsepower and are torque monsters down low, those 3.5's move. Did you drive it?

I drove in it. "Seat of the pants feel" in his truck told me it was quick, much quicker than my Suburban. Then we blasted on the highway in separate cars and I was pulling away from him. Granted, I have work on my 5.3 but it should not have pulled on that Nav as fast as I did. I was expecting him to pull from me. I pissed on a Land Rover HSE (non supercharged) on the highway so I know my Burb has some get-up-n-go but the twin turbo's on that 3.5 should have had me looking at his back window.

And yes he can drive...about as well as I can. He's no mid-life crisis guy - he knows his cars. Some special Ferrari 599, a Karman Fisker, and a pair of Maserati's in his stable besides the Nav. Not to mention a couple of quads and a Polaris Slingshot. So he knows what he's doing.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove in it. "Seat of the pants feel" in his truck told me it was quick, much quicker than my Suburban. Then we blasted on the highway in separate cars and I was pulling away from him. Granted, I have work on my 5.3 but it should not have pulled on that Nav as fast as I did. I was expecting him to pull from me. I pissed on a Land Rover HSE (non supercharged) on the highway so I know my Burb has some get-up-n-go but the twin turbo's on that 3.5 should have had me looking at his back window.

And yes he can drive...about as well as I can. He's no mid-life crisis guy - he knows his cars. Some special Ferrari 599, a Karman Fisker, and a pair of Maserati's in his stable besides the Nav. Not to mention a couple of quads and a Polaris Slingshot. So he knows what he's doing.
I am surprised to hear that about the Navigator. Not doubting or questioning your assessment, just surprised. I have a '16 F150 4X4 SCREW with the 3.5TT Ecoboost and it is quick. Put it in Sport Mode and it is very responsive to the throttle and a lot of fun. I think it is rated at 5.8s for 0-60 stock. That being said, the Navigator is a heavier vehicle than my F150.

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with GM was terrible, from total incompetence to self invented “specs” that allow GM and dealers to send you pack send. Tried 3 dealers now. Talking to GM social media team, they only promise to talk to a dealer but nothing happens. If you buy and hope warranty would help... do not. GM now has “ specs” that allow them to hide behind them from expensive repairs. My truck has 8K miles only and idle hesitates and flutters in D at the stop so much that wife and kids are asking what is wrong Dad? Dealers told me “everything within spec”, we feel nothing. Independent tech wrote that feels it too but dealers don’t.

I like to shoot guns at my favorite outdoor "Second Amendment Theme Park" and I own nothing but Ruger firearms. I have come across a problem or two over the years but the Ruger customer service has always been top notch and very fast. I would not look elsewhere for a firearm because of a problem with a Ruger gun. If the CS was crap though I might. Was the Chevy warranty/customer service bad? Have you had trouble with other GM vehicles?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Honestly this thread is a bit heart breaking to read. Coming from a guy who drives an older rig (05) that has held up just splendid. Yeah these trucks have their problems but TBH I'm convinced because they're so damn long lived. Not many other vehicles I can say will reach 300k with a high degree of certainty.

And to see the number of issues popping up here, on low mileage trucks.... Blech. I can handle problems. Even common / consistent problems, which as annoying as they can be, I view as an odd mark of quality because it means it was a defect in design / construction that was consistently repeated and carried forward. Yeah it was bad, but it was CONSISTENT. As opposed to a random smattering of issues that tell me stuff is just tooled / milled / designed / assembled / whatever sloppily.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22" wheels ride like crap is another.
not always the case, i love mine on 22's
drive it & see how you like it.
there is a reflash for MRC, if it is an issue

&
There is the buffering and booming reports
drive it & varying speeds (pay attention btwn 20-80ish) & road types (smooth/bumpy)to see if it happens
issue hasnt been fixed yet... so your ride either has it or it doesnt.
i still think its a tolerance stacking issue based on a mon/fri build ;)
which is why they cant seem to figure it out... or GM is still just lazy

my '15 has been good... havent had many of the problems reported from others.
i have had little stuff... headlight replaced from fogging, recall reflashes, replaced rims - cheap chicom ones (from the package that i have, callaway)

also look for leaking shocks(MRC or autoride), if higher mileage

there are lots of people here that arent having issues, do a search here.

some other common things to do:
-get rid of OEM bridgestone tires for something quality
-road force balance wheels/tires
-disable AFM w/ either range device or a tune
-change body mounts (this is new update on 17's)...only if you have issues

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 1997 Saturn, 1999 Grand Prix and my wife’s 2011 SRX. They did not experience the numerous issues as the Yukon, but had some issues.

My cars are always purchased new and maintained with the severe service schedule. I use only fully synthetic fluids in all cars, these Yukon issues are not due to lack of maintenance. Also, I don’t tow, so those stresses on the drivetrain are not present (for example the tranny failure at 14k miles).

The above GM cars were on proven platforms. For example, the Grand Prix 3800 series motor had been in production for many years and was proven. The SRX was on the Theta platform for several years.

My point is GM should have not released their flagship truck platform with so many recurring issues. My dealer is great, but I shouldn’t have to go visit them every couple months with major component failures.
yes the 3.8s v6 were reliable but real gas hogs 12MPG in the metro 22-23 on the hyw

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with GM was terrible, from total incompetence to self invented “specs” that allow GM and dealers to send you pack send. Tried 3 dealers now. Talking to GM social media team, they only promise to talk to a dealer but nothing happens. If you buy and hope warranty would help... do not. GM now has “ specs” that allow them to hide behind them from expensive repairs. My truck has 8K miles only and idle hesitates and flutters in D at the stop so much that wife and kids are asking what is wrong Dad? Dealers told me “everything within spec”, we feel nothing. Independent tech wrote that feels it too but dealers don’t.
make a lemon law claim

also do a probed emissions test this way they can see if it's cheating emissions

this hesitation might be allowing more emissions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh