Common breaks after getting a PPV/SSV...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9ErnieSSV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was leaving Maimi on the and jumped onto the "Express Lane". I uses quotes since it was only moving 5 mph faster than the regular lanes which were parked. Only on there for a mile when the dashboard lights up and the engine goes into limp mode. Look over and the temp gauge is pegged.

Was able to get onto the shoulder immediately and shutoff the engine. Coolant line to the heater block busted off at the plastic fitting.

Long story short, I was able to fixed and the 45 minute drive home took 3 hours. No biggie. I then find out this is a common issue.

Is there a list of common issues I need to be aware of so I can simply change them out and avoid another adventure?

In my case its a 2014 Tahoe SSV. 135k miles and 10k idle hours. Have changed out the batteries, tires, one coolant line, oil changed again after the coolant line. Will change all fluids, Alternator as well as everything else associated with the serpentine belt.

Alignment was done and everything looked solid but will have to change the tie rod in the not to distant future.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for the extra wiring harnesses, I can’t say there’s anything specific. Both of mine needed new front sway bar links and hubs at 180-190K. Each has had other things as well, but I think those were related to the age and mileage, not PPV specific.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd refer to the sticky thread in this forum, it has a lot of common 'fixes' for things to do with these special order Tahoes. Go ahead and check open recalls with the dealer too, there are some legit ones in there that aren't that old (like the airbag recall and the PPV cooling fan issue, just had both of mine done within the last few months).

Jimgeorge

Reaction score
Except for the extra wiring harnesses, I can’t say there’s anything specific. Both of mine needed new front sway bar links and hubs at 180-190K. Each has had other things as well, but I think those were related to the age and mileage, not PPV specific.
How did you know you needed sway bar links and hubs. What was the symptom?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you know you needed sway bar links and hubs. What was the symptom?
The swaybar links were pretty obvious visually. One had no bushings left at all. The other still had them, but the wear was very intense.

for the bus, jack up the front until the tire is off the ground. Then try to rock the wheel back and forth in the 6-12 direction. If there’s play in the bearings you’ll be able to feel it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu