Column shifter boot and dash removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doonie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe. I am also a chick with limited auto experience. I'm trying to determine if i can fix my mess up. Ive searched everywhere and am getti g conflicting info. Here's what I did...I have a CD stuck inside the stock CD player. In an attempt to get it out I tried to pry off the frame around the dashboard. Consequently it was more than I could tackle and not enough to be able to access the stereo and I attempted to snap it back on. It did not go completely back on and now the shifter boot is all twisted. This is inhibiting me from putting the truck all the way into park. Do I have to take apart the whole dash including under the steering column to be able to straighten out this boot? And could I have damaged other parts? My ignition is loose now. I'm trying to do this myself, can't afford a shop. Any help appreciated Thanks!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Set your parking brake first. Then set the tilt wheel all the way down and put the key in so you can put the shift lever all the way down.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe. I am also a chick with limited auto experience. I'm trying to determine if i can fix my mess up. Ive searched everywhere and am getti g conflicting info. Here's what I did...I have a CD stuck inside the stock CD player. In an attempt to get it out I tried to pry off the frame around the dashboard. Consequently it was more than I could tackle and not enough to be able to access the stereo and I attempted to snap it back on. It did not go completely back on and now the shifter boot is all twisted. This is inhibiting me from putting the truck all the way into park. Do I have to take apart the whole dash including under the steering column to be able to straighten out this boot? And could I have damaged other parts? My ignition is loose now. I'm trying to do this myself, can't afford a shop. Any help appreciated Thanks!
If you would like some more help, I can walk you through it via video chat. I've had to do it several times -- my whole family is in these vehicles. I actually had to pull my wife's 2 days ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts