Cold Blooded Duramax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When started cold after sitting all night, my 2022 Yukon Denali Duramax surges at light throttle when driving. When I push the pedal a little more, it smoothes out, and once warmed up after a mile or two, it runs as smooth as silk. Anyone else have a cold blooded Duramax?

I'm not too concerned, but thought I would check to see if anyone else is having the same experience. Thanks

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely normal...Diesels can be a little grumpy in cold mornings, but it's nothing to read into. This vehicle warms up faster than any diesel I've owned. Start it up, give it 10-15 seconds to catch its breath, and slowly ease off down the road. You can remote start it, here and there, and I do, but prob not a good Idea on a daily basis. Idling cold without a load on the motor is probably the hardest on them till they get warmed up....

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sound like this when you start it up?
;)

The '80's VW diesels had a pull cable mounted to the dash - a lot of people thought it was a "choke" but it was actually a lever that advanced the timing of the injection pump for cold starts.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me the other day. First time with about 9K miles on the truck. Only time it has happened. It was about 50* ambient.

OP
OP
M

Morbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This just happened to me the other day. First time with about 9K miles on the truck. Only time it has happened. It was about 50* ambient.
That's interesting that it is just now exhibiting that behavior. When I initially picked up my Denali in February, when it was considerably colder, I didn't notice it. But the last few weeks it's very noticeable. Weird.

OP
OP
M

Morbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it sound like this when you start it up?
;)

The '80's VW diesels had a pull cable mounted to the dash - a lot of people thought it was a "choke" but it was actually a lever that advanced the timing of the injection pump for cold starts.
I remember those! I never had one, but I knew guy at work who did. Man, have diesels come a long way since then. And, no, my Denali does not sound like that at start up. :)

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am uncertain how much warm up to give this engine. I wait for the gauges to settle and then count twenty seconds before putting it in gear. The Owner's Manual Diesel Supplement p. 8 says "When the engine is cold, let it run for a few minutes before driving. This lets oil pressure build up. The engine will sound louder when it is cold." It does not say how cold cold is (or what the definition of is is) or whether it simply means a lack of residual heat nor does it say how many minutes. Given the diesel particulate filter and pollution controls, I don't let it idle too long but I drive gently until it is at operating temp 210 deg F. I have not experienced surges. I did have a regen cycle come on once while the engine was still below operating temperature.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie