Cold Air intake - Ebay unit Modified ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the factory air box is pretty good with a good or clean filter. Is there much of a benefit from replacing the pipe from the throttle body to the box? On that line of thinking, has anybody modified a cheap ebay CAI unit to attach the stock box to the throttle body, basically just using the pipe and union?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have heard the factory air box is pretty good with a good or clean filter. Is there much of a benefit from replacing the pipe from the throttle body to the box? On that line of thinking, has anybody modified a cheap ebay CAI unit to attach the stock box to the throttle body, basically just using the pipe and union?

The restriction in the stock setup is, in fact, the pipe. The stock one has a shape that is designed to muffle sound (that's why it looks all goofy). The benefit of changing it is minor, and it does result in a little more growl under load. The cheap eBay one has been fitted a few different ways and is definitely doable with a tiny bit of creativity. The other popular option is the Airaid Jr. MIT.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am asking for is something like the Airraid MIT. Should I just bite the bullet for about $150? Is this just a sound thing?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I guess what I am asking for is something like the Airraid MIT. Should I just bite the bullet for about $150? Is this just a sound thing?

It is definitely mostly sound, although guys do report feeling a little better throttle response and /or mileage. The other side says that's just cuz it sounds good so you get into it a little more. A tune will take a little more advantage of the increased flow, too. That's really the way to tell the engine what to do with it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup-mostly sound since what it does is it replaces the stock tube that has muffler chambers to attenuate the intake sound with a smooth, unmuffled (uninterrupted) tube. I really like the sound. It's like having a mild performance exhaust that you only hear when you're really on the throttle. I believe I felt a small mid- to upper-RPM power increase, but it's nothing life-changing.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, sound.... all of the guys above pretty much nailed it, well mostly @HiHoeSilver , @iamdub just likes to hear himself talk sometimes, and even though they are both buttheads, their information on the subject is right on.....love you guys...;)

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the factory setup notice the baffles it’s a terrible flowing setup I got the Airaid intake tube & filter on mine, worth every penny imo

888c5a9b2a4fbd129428fd6e7e69dcaf.jpg

fece9e94c189fea3417f745bcf6f6313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

What truck do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons