Clutch job from BEEP BEEP haha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Need a couple more pics to verify, But if you are positive the washer fell out of pressure plate and just wasn't laying on top of something nearby.... It goes on trans mainshaft to space pilot bushing..(0.117 thick) Check for fit. I suspect that was a cowboy fix. Check parts list again.
Now the problem- Measure from Block face to Flywheel face accurately. (square and caliper).
Measure from What you can reach reliably and do a little more calculating for this next number- Rear face of bellhousing to forward face of throwout bearing.
Bellhousing total depth,
Transmission shaft total length including pilot shaft.
Pilot bearing step length of trans shaft.
Pilot bearing depth
Depth to pilot bearing face from flywheel clutch face.
Pressure plate depth to fingers at throwout contact point.
I also see no grease on trans tube for throwout bearing. Don't see a clip on throwout yoke ball stud. Also - is ball stud fixed or adjustable?
Thats all I can quickly think of to verify the whole installation.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measured clutch disk to hum abd was 0.38"

This is the only thing I think could be effecting it rt now. However I swear I checked that when we tore it down the second time.

With luck that is is tho... will know soon enough as we have to pull transmission again :(

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Need a couple more pics to verify, But if you are positive the washer fell out of pressure plate and just wasn't laying on top of something nearby.... It goes on trans mainshaft to space pilot bushing..(0.117 thick) Check for fit. I suspect that was a cowboy fix. Check parts list again.
Now the problem- Measure from Block face to Flywheel face accurately. (square and caliper).
Measure from What you can reach reliably and do a little more calculating for this next number- Rear face of bellhousing to forward face of throwout bearing.
Bellhousing total depth,
Transmission shaft total length including pilot shaft.
Pilot bearing step length of trans shaft.
Pilot bearing depth
Depth to pilot bearing face from flywheel clutch face.
Pressure plate depth to fingers at throwout contact point.
I also see no grease on trans tube for throwout bearing. Don't see a clip on throwout yoke ball stud. Also - is ball stud fixed or adjustable?
Thats all I can quickly think of to verify the whole installation.
genious, basically check to see if tranny input shaft reaches to the flywheel / block correctly...

I noticed the last guy to do clutch put pilot bearing in backwards (seal towards crank) also on wrong side of the flywheel. (farthest point from input shaft possible).

I wonder if they took too much off the face of the flywheel and tried to shim it back somehow?

Or more possibly was a way to shore up the up down play in the tranny input shaft. I measure, 0.1" play but couldnt find a spec on it.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans mainshaft play is from trans bearings, probably had a bad or missing pilot bearing at some point. Or ran ATF for fluid. On a hi miler .100 aint too bad if tranny doesnt howl. Thats 6-8 inches from bearing. Pilot bearing gets a bit more workout.
Way back I had to cut 1/4 off a pilot shaft on a swap.
Since you are pulling trans, remove bellhousing from trans, lay it face down on steel bench top and measure there, way easy. Ever wonder why machine shops all have steel benchtops?
As long as the flywheel face is not stepped, cutting the flywheel does not affect the pressure plate, distance remains the same. It does affect the throwout bearing. Thats why some had Adjustable ball studs- cut 0.080 move ball 0.080.
One reason there is no such thing as an Easy and Quick job, unless you are the only mech thats been in there. You found out on this job. Memory is another, Write cut amount Ball movement etc as a reminder. Paint pen. I have engraved matching part numbers like slave/master when alot of choices.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exp500, I think this is going to result in me owing you a beer (or more). Thanks for your help, many new theories to test as to what's going on.

I asked my buddy several times if he checked the height of the ball stud. He said no it's the same... but I don't feel comfortable unless I've mic'ed it. I do know we have a self adjusting slave cylinder, but maybe there's a point where the fork bottoms out on the throw out bearing and starts to press a bit of an angle on the clutch plate? Kind of thinking to myself here.

Also the throw out bearing guide was all chewed up. We polished it before putting it back in. I don't believe we took off that much material. But maybe it's overly sensitive to that?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans splines and Throwout sleeve must be greased. Splines so the clutch moves, Sleeve so throwout moves. Plus stops rust/wear. Need a real "sticky" wheel bearing grease. If they rust, they wear FAST. Wear could be from rust or driving with a rattleing throwout a long time.
There are no theories! Measure! Guesses make you work harder. You figured out that part I bet.
Also remember that bell came off a different vehicle- so don't listen to your buddy no more. How many clutches? How many Miles? Better be 500K !

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he said four clutches in only a few years. last clutch lasted but not the throw out bearing.

For sure verify everything when putting back together. And or just replace every part possible.