Cluster/Dash lights intermittently goes off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hambone83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
folks, I've got a 2016 Yukon XL Denali with 57k miles.
Lately notice while driving the dash and cluster lights turn off and come back on. The dimmer is set to high as usual and light switch is on auto. The wild thing is, the Nav screen turns off too with the lights. Yesterday the steering controls wont work when that happened too. This is while driving so its not that the car is parked. Any insight would be appreciated!

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to write a long winded post about the "gremlins" that started attacking my truck. Same issue - the whole dash would shut off, the nav, etc - truck doesn't lose any power in the driveline - and then everything would come back on again, traction control warning, wipers go haywire, and the gauges do their little dance. This happened at about 8000 miles and again at 25k. Two different dealers couldn't find anything wrong. Its gotten progressively worse and now I just expected it to happen every few weeks or so.

Fast forward to today and when i accelerated hard (not WOT) the whole truck shut down for a split second. I did it again and it happened again. My ride home from work I was able to repeat the issue with a hard accel. Called my mechanic and he said something was loose but could also be the regulator int he alternator. But with the tuck shutting down, its def a loose ground.

I backed the truck into the driveway and disconnected the battery - cleaned all the terminals, which had basically no
corrosion, sanded the terminal connections and all the fuse block connected and hooked everything back up. Now I can't get the issue to repeat. Made a bunch of hard starts at partial and full throttle. No repeat.

No sense in waiting till I get stuck but I will probably do the big three now. Glad I cam across this post and that article.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to write a long winded post about the "gremlins" that started attacking my truck. Same issue - the whole dash would shut off, the nav, etc - truck doesn't lose any power in the driveline - and then everything would come back on again, traction control warning, wipers go haywire, and the gauges do their little dance. This happened at about 8000 miles and again at 25k. Two different dealers couldn't find anything wrong. Its gotten progressively worse and now I just expected it to happen every few weeks or so.

Fast forward to today and when i accelerated hard (not WOT) the whole truck shut down for a split second. I did it again and it happened again. My ride home from work I was able to repeat the issue with a hard accel. Called my mechanic and he said something was loose but could also be the regulator int he alternator. But with the tuck shutting down, its def a loose ground.

I backed the truck into the driveway and disconnected the battery - cleaned all the terminals, which had basically no
corrosion, sanded the terminal connections and all the fuse block connected and hooked everything back up. Now I can't get the issue to repeat. Made a bunch of hard starts at partial and full throttle. No repeat.

No sense in waiting till I get stuck but I will probably do the big three now. Glad I cam across this post and that article.

Your Not the only one it has happened to me in the middle of driving it set off the EMERGENCY Braking system..(brings the SUV to a complete stop) I was going 55MPH at the time on a off ramp and almost flipped it. (SUV started going side ways) while almost plowing into 2 other motorist( they were able to get "out of the way") lost complete control i.e steering all lights etc....

if it would have happened a few seconds earlier it would have caused a mess on the freeway...

2008 tahoe hybrid
btw

hybrids are equipped with a back up power source (capacitors ) to power the brake module just in case of complete power loss...

I would check the battery and have it load tested... the battery cables were loose, Bad design...

Last edited:

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt