Clunking when leaving in a stopped position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick_Grff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After stopping I get a clunk in the rear end. It feels like the rear brakes are not releasing. If I use my emergency brake to stop. it doesn't clunk. I'm thinking some kind of pin in the rear end isn't resetting. Its a 99 tahoe 227,000. 5.7 vortex 4l60e trans positrac limited slip 3.73. Where can I find a repair manual for this rear end. Thanks if anyone can help.

Wedge

Reaction score
You may need to pull the drums off and see what it looks like in there. Most likely it is your brake shoes getting hot and fusing to the drum. Mine did this as well and a wheel cylinder was leaking just enough to heat up the shoes and make them fuse to the drum when stopping. And of course all the springs and hardware where very old and worn out and needed to be replaced as well.

Michael99hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is the pinion gear moving up and down. Have someone put it in drive and reverse while looking at the diff. you will possibly see it moving. with the mileage on it the bearing has worn. My 99 is doing just as you described and this is what I've found to be the issue

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After stopping I get a clunk in the rear end. It feels like the rear brakes are not releasing. If I use my emergency brake to stop. it doesn't clunk. I'm thinking some kind of pin in the rear end isn't resetting. Its a 99 tahoe 227,000. 5.7 vortex 4l60e trans positrac limited slip 3.73. Where can I find a repair manual for this rear end. Thanks if anyone can help.

The aforementioned pinion gear, u-joints, or slip yoke greasing would be the first things to look at. Then inspect your rear brakes.

Sean James

Reaction score
Exactly what happened to me. '99 tahoe, 130k, right-rear wheel cylinder locked in extended position, dragging on drum and trying to fuse/lock. Burned and worn out brake shoes. Left side shoe and drum were like new. Wife said she felt a little dragging, but didn't tell me until it was beyond repair. Had to replace drum, cylinder, and shoes that were worn almost to steel. Just something to check and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345