Clues to axle ratio Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW on the '02 generation 3.42 is GU6 and the 3.73 is GT4.

I have the 3.42 and I cannot maintain speed up even relatively steep hills in 3 mode. It will kick down to 2nd and I hate that. Towing 3000# car on aluminum open trailer.

Ken G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definately go with the 3:42's which are option code GU6, GU4 would be 3:08. On an LS, LT, LTZ the standard is 3:08 and you have to get the Heavy Duty Trailer Pkg w/ the JL1 controller to get the 3:42's, it all comes in that package. Z71's ALL have the 3:42 standard but you can NOT get the Heavy Duty Trailer Pkg which makes no sense in my opinion lol.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be talking about a ratio... But you also stated you wanted to go larger tires the size of your tires will affect the gear ratio you might want also... So, how big do you want to go with tires?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to know your true ratio (with so many tire/wheel combinations) jack up the rear end, use a piece of chalk and make a straight line on the yoke to the housing, then make a chalk mark on the very top of the tire.
While turning the tire real slow, count the turns of the driveshaft compared to ONE (1) of the tire back to the top. Makes no difference which way you turn it, just slowly on the tire because the driveshaft will turn faster.
1 turn of wheel , 3 3/4 turns of driveshaft =3.73 , which is good for towing in D shifting into OD on flat surface.

David g...…:2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st