Clues to axle ratio Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am planning on towing and putting larger tires and the Tahoe/Yukon I purchase and it would help to know the axle ratio but most do not have it listed and those that do I am not sure it is correct.

I think there are two options, 3.08 or 3.42,..is this correct?

Is it safe to assume if the vehicle has the brake controller it will have the 3.42 axle ratio?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the time if it has the tow package it will have the higher gear for more torque for pulling. the vin code will tell what the stock ratio was for your truck im not sure what code you need tho. also if your planning starting some towing some basic drive train p/m might also help you figure out your question. rear diff fluid change by dropping the diff cover wouldn't be a bad idea for peace of mind. also your ring gear or diff cover might have the factory stamp or tag telling you what your gearing is.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
most of the time if it has the tow package it will have the higher gear for more torque for pulling. the vin code will tell what the stock ratio was for your truck im not sure what code you need tho. also if your planning starting some towing some basic drive train p/m might also help you figure out your question. rear diff fluid change by dropping the diff cover wouldn't be a bad idea for peace of mind. also your ring gear or diff cover might have the factory stamp or tag telling you what your gearing is.

I have had both and the 3:42 is much better hands down. These beasts are difficult to cruise at highway speeds with the 3:08. Too much gear shifting. Towing with the 3:42 is almost a thrill to drive.

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear,...I am looking to purchase a Tahoe/Yukon and would prefer the higher axle ratio for towing and am having a hard time knowing which axle the vehicle has just by the add.

Is it safe to assume the brake controller present in pictures means it has the 3.42?
They normally list the VIN number, is there a way to decode this for axle ratio?

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear,...I am looking to purchase a Tahoe/Yukon and would prefer the higher axle ratio for towing and am having a hard time knowing which axle the vehicle has just by the add.

Is it safe to assume the brake controller present in pictures means it has the 3.42?
They normally list the VIN number, is there a way to decode this for axle ratio?

Yes

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on towing and putting larger tires and the Tahoe/Yukon I purchase and it would help to know the axle ratio but most do not have it listed and those that do I am not sure it is correct.

I think there are two options, 3.08 or 3.42,..is this correct?

Is it safe to assume if the vehicle has the brake controller it will have the 3.42 axle ratio?

Mark, what years are you considering? The newer K2s have slightly different option codes. In most cases the JL1 Trailer Brake Controller comes with the K5L and or NHT RPO codes. Check the RPO sheet or decode the VIN at Compnine and look for those codes plus GU6 for the 3.42 gear(s).

The K2s with 5.3s are still running the 6-speed transmissions with 3.08 or 3.42 gears. The 6.2 motors are in front of 8 or 10 speeds with 3.23 gears.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
We towed with an '03 XL 5.3 that had 3.06 ratio - towed all over New England, up and down the east coast and up into Eastern Canada. We maintain proper tow specs, weighing, balancing each time to make sure we didn't exceed anything (family of 5) - had no issues. The better ratio does make it easier, does give you more breathing room with towing specs, but neither is a dog. Currently running a 5.3 with the 3.08 - initially wanted the 3.43 but I tow little nowadays and with less people involved.

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mark, what years are you considering? The newer K2s have slightly different option codes. In most cases the JL1 Trailer Brake Controller comes with the K5L and or NHT RPO codes. Check the RPO sheet or decode the VIN at Compnine and look for those codes plus GU6 for the 3.42 gear(s).

The K2s with 5.3s are still running the 6-speed transmissions with 3.08 or 3.42 gears. The 6.2 motors are in front of 8 or 10 speeds with 3.23 gears.

I am looking at 2015-2017 Tahoe/Yukon.

I have no use for the brake controller but would prefer the 3.42 axle ratio, so I just need to look for the GU6 code?

Undeserving

Mitch and Murray sent me.
Reaction score
If you are towing you want a lower gear ratio not a higher ratio.
3.42 is lower than 3.08
I have 3.42 and wish it was 3.73
A high ratio is for highway mileage and greater top speed

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at 2015-2017 Tahoe/Yukon.

I have no use for the brake controller but would prefer the 3.42 axle ratio, so I just need to look for the GU6 code?

Yes, because ultimately that is most important to you. I always get autos with the towing packages for the more robust cooling systems and sometimes more heavy duty components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne