Cloud feeling Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is an XFe?

In general, lowered suspensions have less suspension travel. So unevenness in the road is transmitted more abruptly to your backbone.

Starting around 1970 off-road motorcycles and racing trucks and sedans started converting to longer travel suspensions and shocks to keep tires in contact with the surface below them and to reduce wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle.

Originally, a "fore-runner" was a less extreme vehicle used for practice on an off-rad (off pavement) course.

The best riding and performing vehicle I've owned was an ex highway patrol 1995 Chevrolet Caprice (9C1 law enforcement package) with longer suspension travel than the comparable 1995 Chevrolet Super Sport which was lowered for "appearance" sake. Law enforcement customers were more interested in real world performance than appearance.

I put the Chevy 9C1 springs and shocks under my wife's 1995 Buick Roadmaster with the soft-ride suspension and got 1.5 inch more ground clearance and better ride both.

My 2016 LT Tahoe came from the factory with 18 inch wheels and P265/65R18 tires. Someone put on 20 inch wheels and 275/55R20 tires with the same overall diameter. The 20 inch combination has one inch less sidewall between the wheel and the pavement to absorb bumps.

When it was getting time to replace the tires, I started looking for a set of new take-off 18 inch wheels on CraigsList. I bought a set of four and put them on with the Michelin 265/65R18 LTX M/S Defenders and believe I got a ride improvement. Using the P tire instead of the LTX M/S might have been better yet.

I sold the 20 inch wheel and tires to someone who wanted the 20 inch wheel appearance.

BTW, my Tahoe came from the factory with a 17 inch spare wheel and 265/79R15 tires with the same overall tire diameter as the 18 and 20 inch tires. The law enforcement 9C1 Tahoes come with 17 inch wheels and 265/60R17 tires. Police model Crown Victorias also came with 65R17 tires.
the smallest rims on a NNBS tahoe is 17" that means you would need 265/70/17 to be equal size to the 18" 265-65-18

i don't think 15" tires fit on a 17" rim

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an XFE and it rides like a wagon compared to mine. I thought they were lowered with whatever the PPVs were since it rides like one.
the hybrid has the soft suspension with ZW7 self leveling

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to soften my suspension up some.. it's a bit harsh by new car standards.

it's the z95. with leveling. I wish someone made a tuner for it like on the 09 and up corvette. a retired gm engineer sells a reflash and adjustment for the active shocks.. supposedly it's night and day better.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to soften my suspension up some.. it's a bit harsh by new car standards.

it's the z95. with leveling. I wish someone made a tuner for it like on the 09 and up corvette. a retired gm engineer sells a reflash and adjustment for the active shocks.. supposedly it's night and day better.
If you have a 2009-2013 Hybrid with Z95, the Tech-2 can re-calibrate the shocks.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 2009-2013 Hybrid with Z95, the Tech-2 can re-calibrate the shocks.

is that the trim cal or whatever it's called? hask anyone ever figured out what that does? after my last tow I thought mine sat a bit higher than it did before. I ran the cal with the tech 2 but nothing seemed to change. I was going to try using it to release some air and then run the cal really quickly but never got around to it.

what I was meaning is a guy has the cable and software to change the programming in the module that controls the shocks. like using hptuners to change settings in the ecm. I wish it covered these trucks. it would be super nice to have a few different modes to choose from.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hybrid has the soft suspension with ZW7 self leveling

30e67a788fff046cadcfccfd3cfed918_w200.gif

Weren't we discussing the XFE? The OP said they're looking for a "cloud feeling suspension", and you said that they "...will want the suspension used on the XFe." My friend's XFE rides very UN-cloud-like. So I was confused with your suggestion.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that the trim cal or whatever it's called? hask anyone ever figured out what that does? after my last tow I thought mine sat a bit higher than it did before. I ran the cal with the tech 2 but nothing seemed to change. I was going to try using it to release some air and then run the cal really quickly but never got around to it.

what I was meaning is a guy has the cable and software to change the programming in the module that controls the shocks. like using hptuners to change settings in the ecm. I wish it covered these trucks. it would be super nice to have a few different modes to choose from.
I think so, it just calibrates to fixed specifications, not like the HP Tuners way. I know what you mean but have read that the Z95 gets out to "time" or "tune" and could be periodically reset to restore ride quality.

OP
OP
G

Geared702

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is an XFe?

In general, lowered suspensions have less suspension travel. So unevenness in the road is transmitted more abruptly to your backbone.

Starting around 1970 off-road motorcycles and racing trucks and sedans started converting to longer travel suspensions and shocks to keep tires in contact with the surface below them and to reduce wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle.

Originally, a "fore-runner" was a less extreme vehicle used for practice on an off-rad (off pavement) course.

The best riding and performing vehicle I've owned was an ex highway patrol 1995 Chevrolet Caprice (9C1 law enforcement package) with longer suspension travel than the comparable 1995 Chevrolet Super Sport which was lowered for "appearance" sake. Law enforcement customers were more interested in real world performance than appearance.

I put the Chevy 9C1 springs and shocks under my wife's 1995 Buick Roadmaster with the soft-ride suspension and got 1.5 inch more ground clearance and better ride both.

My 2016 LT Tahoe came from the factory with 18 inch wheels and P265/65R18 tires. Someone put on 20 inch wheels and 275/55R20 tires with the same overall diameter. The 20 inch combination has one inch less sidewall between the wheel and the pavement to absorb bumps.

When it was getting time to replace the tires, I started looking for a set of new take-off 18 inch wheels on CraigsList. I bought a set of four and put them on with the Michelin 265/65R18 LTX M/S Defenders and believe I got a ride improvement. Using the P tire instead of the LTX M/S might have been better yet.

I sold the 20 inch wheel and tires to someone who wanted the 20 inch wheel appearance.

BTW, my Tahoe came from the factory with a 17 inch spare wheel and 265/79R15 tires with the same overall tire diameter as the 18 and 20 inch tires. The law enforcement 9C1 Tahoes come with 17 inch wheels and 265/60R17 tires. Police model Crown Victorias also came with 65R17 tires.
You are so right about longer travel suspensions. And lowered vehicles having shorter travel suspension with the feeling of more unevenness being transferred.

I'm not willing to give up the stance and the handling with my suv being slightly lowered.

I appreciate all you guys info. Up until now I never knew this much about a vehicles suspension. I'm taking notes on all you guys input

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere in a suspension book years ago that when you cut a spring to lower ride height you actual increase the spring rate. didn't really make sense to me even thou they spent pages explaining it lol but the idea was basically if you're going to lower your car you need springs at a different rate and length to end up in the same place.

that's engineer level stuff thou, we just have to work with what we can find that fits our car/truck. but if given the option I've found lowering springs wound Progressive give the best ride. long long time ago i replaced the stock springs on a firebird with some expensive for the time progressive eibach springs. car sat little over an inch lower but rode much nicer. big bumps still sucked but the small washboard ones felt way smoother.

no clue if they even make that stuff anymore or for these trucks. just saying.

my other chase for a nice ride is this c6 corvette. it had the z51 suspension and rode like a brick stock and on anything but the smoothest road would skitter across the road in corners. over all horrible driving experience for me.. but I know others that love it because race car. to me it meant slow car and lots of active handling to try and cover for garage setup that probably only worked in autocross setup where you do 30mph and yank the wheel left and right. (I despise autocross lol)

anyways, the stock fiberglass leaf spring has some progress rate to it. all coilovers that fit it do not. I've been in 3 with different brands of coilovers, I'm sure they have their place in racing and tuning easily for it. but they were all horrible. adjust soft they got bounce with no control, stiffen them up they rode like a slammed Honda. the vikings were the worst. noisey as hell too, but in a odd way. I was told it was the valves in the shock seating and unsesting in each direction. they also do away with any rubber bushings so you hear everything. I've not been around $10k sets but eh.. going to say not for bad roads and long road trips.

so far best I've found was keep the stiffer z51 leaf springs for the progressive rate, and koni makes a passive 2 rate shock. short fast wash board its very low damping, slower big compression switch to a different channel and have high damping but still less than the stock z51 shocks. this allows for some weight transfer and shifting it around when driving so got tons of rear traction back, especially when the road isn't perfect. get on throttle a ton earlier, and can actually drive the car without all the electronics on to save you..but down side to them you need to have enough travel, so stock or close to it ride height.

to compensate for the stock monster truck fender gap, you gotta go bigger with tire size to fill the gap. which isn't that bad cause more contact patch. I'm not sure if koni makes the shocks that would fit your lowered truck. but if so, highly recommend. KONI FSD is what they are called. might give their tech line a call.

I say all that to just basically say in my experience progressive coil springs with high quality dampers tuned to what you're looking for goes a long way towards a nicer ride. don't cheap out on shocks and talk to the tech lines and be sure to tell them ride ride ride. handling will come from the wheel/tire and thick sway bars setup in anything close to street speeds. if you tried to do track days in it or chase down Porsches on the mountain roads. you'd have to give some of that up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC