clicky but no starty 2007 Yukon denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooby-X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2007 Yukon Denali. I went to start it today and it started doing a rapid clicking like there was a dead battery. I grabbed the jumper thinking that was the problem. No dice, still clicking. So being an idiot I went and bought a new starter. Get installed, still clicking. Did a little research, must be the battery cables. So I replaced the positive cables (the one to the starter and to the fuse on the firewall) and the terminal. Go through all that and get all excited because that had to be it.... Rapid clicking. Oh, I replaced the battery with a new spare I had in the garage too btw. So now I'm thinking it has to be a ground maybe??? I am going to replace the negative cable/terminal tomorrow, but I was hoping maybe someone on here has come across this before and could give a little guidance if possible. Thanks in advance.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always taught rapid clicking meant the starter solenoid wasn't getting enough juice. Given all your diagnostics so far, ground straps/wires seem like a likely place next to look.

I also would take @Fless advice above and swap the starter and crank relays with a couple of unused relays (like the rear window defogger relay, etc.), to make sure it isn't a relay problem.

Finally, I have been reading up lately on the theft deterrent setup in these trucks and have read about your exact symptoms in some cases of the TD being out of whack, but I wouldn't go down that road until you exhaust all the normal stuff.