Cigarette lighters..do I really need 3???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theprovider

Reaction score
So I bought a dual USB port to swap into one of the 3 cig lighter ports. Has anyone else done something with these ports? I don't need them and I don't want to stick USBs in all 3 ports. What have you guys done with the tape deck and the rear stereo controls?? Need some ideas here.

I also installed a Pioneer double din and replaced the 4 door speakers with some kenwoods. Sounds 100x better, next I'm replacing the stock 8" sub.

31554438227_10fa41817f_b.jpgUntitled by Chris Nelson, on Flickr

I have a double din bezel coming in so it'll look much better next week...

Really pumped for this! haha 38 going on 16 over here.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use the heck out of ours. I regularly have 4 to 6 people riding -- all with cell phones -- and occasionally run an Amazon Echo+a wireless hotspot. We sometimes run out of ports!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely have more than myself and one or two friends in the truck with me. I’d like to at least do something different with one of the upfront cigarette lighters. Lol. I kinda want to use the in the bezel with cd changer as constant power for either a dash cam or radar detector but have it out of sight.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look up a "blend mount" they are used to mount your radar detector to the mirror, then you just run power from the mirror harness and it's a clean and trouble free system, the radar is only on when the key is on so you never have to worry about turning it off (my valentine one would kill the battery in about 2 days if I left it on and forgot about it). and there are NO wires dangling anywhere and it's "technically" not mounted to the window which is a no no here in Cali, and it's the perfect mounting spot because it can see front and back without obstructions.
as far as USB ports those are easy you can put them in place of the cigarette power ports or just add them anywhere there is room, I added to 2 ports on the side of the rear a/v a/c controls and I added 2 more in the rear in the rear a/c kick panel so the 3rd row would have plugs to access. you can easily add some in your console box also. Ebay and Amazon have hundreds of different styles and colors. I even added a dash cam up to the right side of the rear view mirror (because the left side has the dimming sensor so you cant block it if you want it to work) and I bought a 12v to 5v usb adapter and ran it under the roof liner and down the pillar for power so it's a nice clean install

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look up a "blend mount" they are used to mount your radar detector to the mirror, then you just run power from the mirror harness and it's a clean and trouble free system, the radar is only on when the key is on so you never have to worry about turning it off (my valentine one would kill the battery in about 2 days if I left it on and forgot about it). and there are NO wires dangling anywhere and it's "technically" not mounted to the window which is a no no here in Cali, and it's the perfect mounting spot because it can see front and back without obstructions.
as far as USB ports those are easy you can put them in place of the cigarette power ports or just add them anywhere there is room, I added to 2 ports on the side of the rear a/v a/c controls and I added 2 more in the rear in the rear a/c kick panel so the 3rd row would have plugs to access. you can easily add some in your console box also. Ebay and Amazon have hundreds of different styles and colors. I even added a dash cam up to the right side of the rear view mirror (because the left side has the dimming sensor so you cant block it if you want it to work) and I bought a 12v to 5v usb adapter and ran it under the roof liner and down the pillar for power so it's a nice clean install
Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
theprovider

theprovider

Reaction score

That sounds cool. I'll look into that.

I rarely have more than myself and one or two friends in the truck with me. I’d like to at least do something different with one of the upfront cigarette lighters. Lol. I kinda want to use the in the bezel with cd changer as constant power for either a dash cam or radar detector but have it out of sight.

Same. Its usually just me.

We use the heck out of ours. I regularly have 4 to 6 people riding -- all with cell phones -- and occasionally run an Amazon Echo+a wireless hotspot. We sometimes run out of ports!

I have the standard plug in usb charger but it sucks and never stays in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak