Chrome Black-Out'd bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that looks really cool. Ive always like the black chrome look. Want to black out my bumpers, humm... might have to look into this. Keep us updated on how well it holds up.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
Im gonna have to do this. My color is like a dark dark grey so im sure black chrome bumpers would look sweet.

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, looks nice! wished I'd known about this before I went the normal paint route, i think this looks better

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
eh did it on my truck, didn't like the way it looked. Ended up removing all of it after. lol

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
eh did it on my truck, didn't like the way it looked. Ended up removing all of it after. lol

That sucks bro. The bad thing about this stuff is it's SUPER hard to get "just" the right amount on the chrome to darken it, but still make it look like chrome. It is very hard and tricky paint to use. It took me a couple trial and errors to get it figured out right. If you don't add it in an even manner, it will end up looking bad. It's all about a nice even application of paint to get just the right amount of tint added. It's super thin, and if not applied correctly looks like you either lightly splattered black paint, or has darker spots or gets too dark and looks black, but super reflective. Sucks you didn't like it, but think you may have not applied correctly, not added enough, not applied even coats, applied too much too fast, or something. It's all about light, even coats, and giving it the specified amount of time to dry between coats. I love the look of mine, and so far after 2 car washes with brushes it is holding up just fine.

Very happy with how it looks and is holding up. Have gotten alot of compliments lately about it cause it just looks way different then straight paint, and what everyone one else has done and is doing. I haven't seen anybody else with Black/Chrome bumpers in Phoenix, Az yet. So just like the individuality of it.

Just alittle advice again. Very light, even coats. 20 mins. between coats to dry. Try to paint in one consistant flow of paint if you can so the same amount of paint is applied to product all the way thru. If darker spots become present, try to apply just alittle more paint around that spot to blend it all in. Unlike most things you paint where you apply light coats, then darker coats untill it's all one even color. This stuff is just a tint as it were, where you just want to add super light coats evenly applied to "ADD" color to the chrome. You can't apply it the same as you would regular paint. Again, light, even, constant coats of paint. Too light and it looks like splatter. Would rather add too much of the paint then not enough. Looks cool dark, just like really shiny, super reflective black that no other paint can compare. Love mine

Last edited:

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
Yeah, I went too dark! lol I was painting it in my garage and it didn't look like enough and I kept adding layers. Maybe I'll try again when I can paint outside ( my neighbors complain usually when I work on my cars )

Reaction score
Need to get off my ass and do this. How much area does one can cover? I dont want to start going then run out of paint, and look like a total jack ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972