Chip Retrofit Lawsuit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What chip, several on here had to contact the Dealer since they were not notified as promised. Maybe check the part number and see if one is available and contact your Dealer.

SixThreeStopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While it's a bigger issue that a single lawsuit might not solve, there is a case to be made that chips ARE available to perform these retrofits; Chevrolet has produced multiple 2023 models with these features (including mine back in October).

A case could be made that GM should have resolved its obligations to 2022 owners before contracts were filled with 2023 owners but those obligations were loosey-goosey commitments instead of a contract.

Again, this would likely require something at the level of a class-action lawsuit to make something happen given how many 2022s are still "waiting for chips". Chips have been available for months now; GM is just arbitrarily allocating those chips to newer (and likely more profitable orders). Until the chip supply exceeds the log of new orders, I think it's unlikely they'll start filling the back-log of old retrofits.

The company's highest priority is pushing vehicles and turning a profit and, unfortunately for many, retrofits help in neither regard. Some will argue that they're alienating future repeat buyers - which is true - but many people learn to live and move on; they may be counting on vehicle owners looking past it next time they're in the market.

Retrofits were promised in an unprecedented era when manufacturers were faced with either putting out incomplete vehicles or crimping their vehicle sales even more. Promises were made without knowing how long the chip shortage would last. Reality has refocused manufacturer's attentions on optimizing the current circumstances, which still leaves them with a shortage and small incentive to make good on their promises.
This. I see plenty of people rolling around in other 2023s that have things I'm missing and I guarantee you they paid what I did.