Chicago / Illinois emission test w / Range device

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PHEW! You made my day! THANK YOU!

Don't know what I've been reading online. Scare tactics I guess.
@mikez71 Let me know if I’m wrong or if your experience is different, I don’t want to be telling people incorrect information.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's trucks that go over 200k with afm working fine, and most get 150k without doing anything special.
I'm just over 200k. I wasn't trying to delete AFM for emission testing, just for overall simplicity, figuring there's a good amount of miles on my lifters already. Plus I will never enable AFM, so I'd rather have the simpler parts. I hear about regular lifters taking a crap too, but being simpler, slightly less chance of going/being bad.

I was under the impression if you unplugged VLOM, you would get codes, but engine would run fine.. Thankfully, all moot now! :happy160:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikez71 Let me know if I’m wrong or if your experience is different, I don’t want to be telling people incorrect information.
For sure.. not due for a little while yet.. But it's good NOT to hear about anyone having issues with AFM disable/deletes and emissions testing (as it should be)

Ltzjeff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read a few long posts regarding the Range module and emission tests but it seemed most were in PA or NY. Does anyone in Illinois or Chicago have any info on whether pulling the Range prior to test will cause a fail ?
In Chicagoland - pulled range the day before - did a little driving, but not enough for monitors to be approved by testing. Left it out and drove about 5-10 miles on 3 separate days and passed. Plugged it back in and no problems during time out and afterwards.

repairman54

Reaction score
On my old '11 5.3 w/range installed my I/M monitors would not run the EVAP tests. No CEL on or any codes stored. Only knew it as it wouldn't pass NJ inspection. I finally tracked it down to a bad MAP. It was erratic enough to stop tests running yet not bad enough to trigger any codes. My scan tool has 2 MAP tests, and it was erratically failing one of the tests.
Here's a tip to see if the MAP is fully OK, does the instant mpg go to 99 mpg on a long coast down with your foot off the gas? If not it's bad. I lost 2-3 mpg on a highway run that I have been doing for years, same route always, and that had me searching for issues like brakes dragging and other things trying to figure that out. New MAP got it back to normal 19 mpg.

OP
OP
belair62

belair62

Reaction score
On my old '11 5.3 w/range installed my I/M monitors would not run the EVAP tests. No CEL on or any codes stored. Only knew it as it wouldn't pass NJ inspection. I finally tracked it down to a bad MAP. It was erratic enough to stop tests running yet not bad enough to trigger any codes. My scan tool has 2 MAP tests, and it was erratically failing one of the tests.
Here's a tip to see if the MAP is fully OK, does the instant mpg go to 99 mpg on a long coast down with your foot off the gas? If not it's bad. I lost 2-3 mpg on a highway run that I have been doing for years, same route always, and that had me searching for issues like brakes dragging and other things trying to figure that out. New MAP got it back to normal 19 mpg.
Most I have seen just around town is 50' on coast down. Gonna try this on the hiway whenI getback to town.

mikehooo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read a few long posts regarding the Range module and emission tests but it seemed most were in PA or NY. Does anyone in Illinois or Chicago have any info on whether pulling the Range prior to test will cause a fail ?
I’m running one in my Avalanche ,but we not tested here but if you unplug the Range and drive a couple days. (200-400] miles you won’t have any problems with emission test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos