Cheap exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djmurria

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was trying to see if anybody had tried this and knows if it'll work or not. Trying to do a somewhat cheap exhaust.
I read the stock exhaust is 2.75 od. Could i slide a 3 inch muffler over it and clamp it down? Im unable get the the inside od of the muffler but just Curios has anybody else tried it and did it oval the muffler inlet instead of clamping since it may be about a 1/8 or so gap.
Plan is to cut the exhaust and run the flowmaster 71419 muffler with a turn down before the axle. Trying to get a nice sound out of the 03 tahoe i just got on a budget.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. I haven’t heard of this being done but more knowledgeable folks here will chime in. Good luck

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was trying to see if anybody had tried this and knows if it'll work or not. Trying to do a somewhat cheap exhaust.
I read the stock exhaust is 2.75 od. Could i slide a 3 inch muffler over it and clamp it down? Im unable get the the inside od of the muffler but just Curios has anybody else tried it and did it oval the muffler inlet instead of clamping since it may be about a 1/8 or so gap.
Plan is to cut the exhaust and run the flowmaster 71419 muffler with a turn down before the axle. Trying to get a nice sound out of the 03 tahoe i just got on a budget.

Reducer and clamps might be the cheapest. You'd need a length of pipe with a bend or a straight pipe with an elbow plus additional clamps plus a hanger for the outlet side. You could place the joint where the straight piece on the outlet meets the turn-down elbow under that rearmost factory hanger and use a hanger clamp for double duty. For about the same price as all that or maybe a little more, you might see what a muffler shop would charge to weld it in. It should be on the cheaper end for them since there's no bending or fabrication needed. It'd also likely hold up better. I've always slid the factory pipe inside the 3" muffler, spaced it evenly, and welded it around. 1/8" gap is perfectly fine to weld.

Hanger clamp: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Clamp-Exhaust-Hanger-MADE/dp/B08DXQFWYR

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

As @Dantheman1540 suggested, find the correct adaptor, and you will have a good seal on the pipes. If you cannot find it online, I'm sure that a local muffler shop would make the adapter for you at a very low price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec