Charging your laptop on a road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TriciaPug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been traveling a lot for work and occasionally run low on my laptop battery. I have been warned by a friend about charging a laptop in the car without a proper inverter, but with the current technology including USB-C, USB, and other power options, I wonder if the worries about charging a laptop in the car without an inverter is a thing of the past.
Example: I have a 2018 Yukon XL with USB and 110 outlets.
I'm currently renting a 2021 Suburban with several USB-C, USB and 110 outlets.

Anyone here have experience with this that would care to share?

Thanks

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lap top you using? The new MacBook Air is a direct USB-c plug to the charger… Maybe if you’re in the market for a new laptop instead of an inverter lol

OP
OP
TriciaPug

TriciaPug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What lap top you using? The new MacBook Air is a direct USB-c plug to the charger… Maybe if you’re in the market for a new laptop instead of an inverter lol
Thanks
I have a new MacBook Air, with the USB-C to USB-C.

I have used a high end inverter in the past but I'd rather just use the power sources in the Yukon if they're doing the same thing.

FWIW I can get about 6 hours out of a charge but I often travel 8-10 hr days and occasionally need to charge while on the road.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I have used a high end inverter in the past but I'd rather just use the power sources in the Yukon if they're doing the same thing.

FWIW I can get about 6 hours out of a charge but I often travel 8-10 hr days and occasionally need to charge while on the road.
Quick Google search shows something as simple as this is more than capable of charging your mac

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 110 outlet should be fine for a laptop charger unless it's some absurd 240w, I think the onboard 110 is good for like 150w but not 100% sure I looked it up before, the specs may be in the owners manual.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Use the 110 outlet with your Apple charger and you'll be good to go.
I do this on long road trips all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts