Changing out front calipers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you remove the old one? assuming it won't just pull off.
Sometimes, the crush washers will will stick to the end connector of the hose or the back of the caliper. Look for the copper washer and flick it off with a knife or putty knife. Be sure both washers are removed and use the new ones. You don't want to double up on the washers. That might cause leak problems for you.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about your brake caliper? There's usually only one thing that can go bad, and that's the piston seal. When it leaks, that has nothing to do with uneven wear on the brake pads. If you have uneven wear, the caliper is probably not well maintenanced.

Two things you have to maintanace on a caliper. On one hand you have to push the brake piston back all the way from time to time and then extend it again. Due to the fact, that the brake caliper piston is usually only moved less than a millimeter, the piston is no longer so easy to move. At the latest when you change the brake pads, you should push the piston all the way back into several times and then push it out again by braking, so that it has been moved through its full range of motion. Of course, you have to be careful not to push the piston out of the cylinder.

Furthermore, the slide pins of the brake caliper must be absolutely free to move. You have to clean and lubricate them.

Then there is no one-sided wear

Last edited:
OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about your brake caliper? There's usually only one thing that can go bad, and that's the piston seal. When it leaks, that has nothing to do with uneven wear on the brake pads. If you have uneven wear, the caliper is probably not well maintained.

Two things you have to maintain on a caliper. On one hand you have to push the brake piston back all the way from time to time and then extend it again. Due to the fact, that the brake caliper piston is usually only moved less than a millimeter, the piston is no longer so easy to move. At the latest when you change the brake pads, you should push the piston all the way back into several times and then push it out again by braking, so that it has been moved through its full range of motion. Of course, you have to be careful not to push the piston out of the cylinder.

Furthermore, the slide pins of the brake caliper must be absolutely free to move. You have to clean and lubricate them.

Then there is no one-sided wear
What Im getting is excessive brake dust,both front wheels covered in about 2 weeks time.
Haven't re ordered new ones yet,just cleaned and re grease.Ill try your suggestion as I didn't move the pistons back yesterday.
The squeal i had is gone though.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That
What Im getting is excessive brake dust,both front wheels covered in about 2 weeks time.
Haven't re ordered new ones yet,just cleaned and re grease.Ill try your suggestion as I didn't move the pistons back yesterday.
The squeal i had is gone though.
this can be caused by stiff brake pistons.

Remove the brake caliper but not the hose, use pliers and a piece of wood (not to damage the brake piston) to push the piston all the way back to its original position. Have someone in the car pressing the brake pedal several times until the piston is out again.

Be careful not to step too far, so that the piston does not fall out of the caliper. Repeat this 5 to 10 times and you will find that the piston moves much more easily. The problem is that the brake disc is always a bit uneven and the brake pads are pushed away as a result. The brake piston can usually be pushed away easily and the brake then becomes free. If the brake piston sticks, then you always have a slight pressure on the brake disc. This costs wear and causes excessive fuel consumption..

As well you should look for your break fluid and change it at least every two years, because your Break fluid is hygroskopic. The water in the brakefluid make the piston housing corrode which extense this problem a lot. Fresh breakfluid is clear like water, old Breakfluid is brown....

Last edited:
OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so maybe I’ve found the problem. I remember back a few months ago putting new pads and rotors on and finding it difficult to get the new pads in. So today cleaned and greased and same thing. So after looking the rust buildup under the chrome clips maybe why. I’ve been cleaning the sides not the flat part. Anyway will get it back together and see 51BCD8BB-62EE-4A6F-9E53-51F689C85464.jpeg

OP
OP
tungsten

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so did the other side again lol.also took a round file to the notches in the pads. They slip right in now. Went for a test drive and feels good. Will have to clean my front wheels and see if the excess dust has stopped.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so did the other side again lol.also took a round file to the notches in the pads. They slip right in now. Went for a test drive and feels good. Will have to clean my front wheels and see if the excess dust has stopped.
Did you push the pistons back and check the quality of the brake fluid?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah gave the pistons some exercise ,fluid is somewhat stained.
Happy to have good brakes and it costed me nothing :chewie:
Then you should definitely change the brake fluid.
Explanation: Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it can absorb water. Since the brake system cannot be completely leak-proof because the amount of brake fluid varies due to the wear of the brake pads, the brake fluid draws water out of the ambient air over time.

The more water the brake fluid contains, the greater the corrosion, e.g. in the brake caliper, and at some point you have the problem that your brakes can Fail, when the brake fluid begins to evaporate, because of the heat on the brakes.

This manifests itself in the fact that individual brakes suddenly close, because the vapor that is produced puts them under pressure. So as soon as the brake fluid starts to get dark, it needs to be changed. if you don't have a special device for that you can do it yourself, with a second man.

But Change it. This is an important maintenance to your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts