Changed the Key cylinder now won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra Owings

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Chevy Tahoe LS, 4x4.
So my ignition had completely locked on me and we needed to replace it, so we replaced it, now it won't start.bit cranks starts but immediately dies like it is out of gas.. I don't know what to do from here and I don't have the cash to take it to a shop right now. What could be the issue? Please any help would be appreciated...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you turn the key to "run" (not cranking) is the security light illuminated on the dash?

You could try this procedure:

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go out and check but I think it flashes if I remember correctly
if the security light is flashing then you need to do the 10 min 30 seconds relearn, just put the key in, turn it to run and let it sit until the security light stops flashing (approx 10.5 minutes) then turn the key off, wait a few seconds, then it should start like normal.

OP
OP
S

Sierra Owings

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Msi I've sat here for about an hour now watching this light and timing it, still nothing it is still flashing and it has no crank at all now

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Msi I've sat here for about an hour now watching this light and timing it, still nothing it is still flashing and it has no crank at all now
put a battery charger on it, after an hour you probably killed the battery. and just to confirm you just turned it to run (the last click before start)? the security light should flash for 10.5 minutes (approx) and then stay on solid. if it does not stay on solid then you may have to be sure you didn't disconnect the hall sensor or something, check your work.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're doing the 10-minute key-on three times, right? Turning off the key in-between the three 10-minute sessions?

OP
OP
S

Sierra Owings

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not know about doing it three times. I was only informed to do it once..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC