Changed entire evap system, but can't blow out line from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to unclog the line on the tank by squeezing it all over with pliers to break up the charcoal and it finally blew out, 150 PSI wasn’t enough to get the job done. Unfortunately the metal hard line is also completely clogged so I had to order a new one and no one local had one. I put the tank back together and back in and left the purge line disconnected so I didn’t risk any charcoal getting back in the lines on/in the tank (even though it shouldn’t as the purge line should only be pulling away from the tank to the engine). I’m going to go ahead and replace the purge valve even though it doesn’t look like there is any charcoal in it just so everything will be new and I shouldn’t have to worry about this again.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed lines and still have the check engine light on. Also have the tighten gas cap message after replacing with new cap.
Well, well...... You made me save some money ( gas cap message)....... Maybe now, I believe the venting problem is just a design fault in the system. ( Not everyone gets the problem, that may not get fixed, if you have the message?)
(FYI..... The 3rd new gas cap I replaced to stop the message was a dealer ACDelco cap, and still the message)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are many places that the evap system can leak. Although smoke tests aren't always conclusive, one helped me find a leaking fuel pump gasket that was only two years old. Rare, yes, but possible. One thing to check are all the hose clamps along the filler tube. Filler tubes can rot. A smoke test would probably show that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckner0121

Latest posts