Change the color of your 00-02 Tahoe/Yukon AC control backlights with LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, most of you have already seen my thread on how to change the color of you power window switches by adding LED's. Now heres how to do basically the same thing to your AC control panel.
First off, remove the AC control panel from the truck. Now carefully pop off the 3 control knobs. Now open up the switch by removing the four 1/4 inch hex screws on the back.
DSC00002-2.jpg

Now carefully release the tabs holding the circuit board in the white part of the contol panel, work your way around until it comes loose.
DSC00003-2.jpg

You can also unscrew the bottom board from the front panel by unscrewing the two 1/4inch hex scews.
The 4 stock bulbs on the bigger circuit board are wired in two pairs. Each pair is wired in series. So you will need to unsolder all 4 bulbs and on the two that I have circled, put a 330ohm resistor on the positive lead.
acpanel.jpg
Here is how you want to configure the resistor into place. So it will line up the the two pinholes in the circuit board just like the stock bulb.
DSC00007-2.jpg

Stock bulb on the left, LED and resitor on the right.
DSC00008-2.jpg

After you solder in your LED's with resistors, follow the tracer on the circuit board to the bulb next to it. That pin is where you will solder in your positive lead for the next LED, ground in the other pinhole. Here is a shot with the two right ones done.
DSC00009-2.jpg

Now all four done.
DSC00014-1.jpg

Now you can move on to the smaller lower panel which lights up the buttons.
I've seen other sites say to do these with 3mm LED's (as the stock bulbs are about 3mm) but I put 5mm LED's and they fit just fine.
For the lower panel, you will need to solder in a 330 ohm resistor inline in the second wire from the right. This wire feeds the positive to all four of these bulbs.
DSC00015-1.jpg
DSC00016-1.jpg

Now simply unsolder the stock bulbs, and solder the LED's in their place. The thin tracer wire on each bulb is the positive lead. On these, I had to do a little trial and error getting the LED's tilted on a slight angle to fire at the button for the best possible light output to each switch. Heres the LED's in place.
DSC00017-1.jpg
DSC00018-1.jpg

Now all are done.
DSC00019-1.jpg

Now you can put the switch back together and go check it out in your truck. Here is a pic of me testing it on my 12v power supply.
DSC00021-1.jpg

Here are a few pics of mine installed. The pics are crappy, I couldn't get the glare off the camera for shit! These pics do it no justice.
DSC01843.jpg
DSC01842.jpg
DSC01840.jpg

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Your good at this stuff. Looks good, alot better than stock color.

STEALTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i shipped you my ac controls + som $$ would you do this for me?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

actually i think i already talked to you about this on GMFS haha

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i shipped you my ac controls + som $$ would you do this for me?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

actually i think i already talked to you about this on GMFS haha

Sure, just let me know when you're ready. :Handshake:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, much appreciated.

How do you know the positive lead on the LED bulb pins?

Can you link us to the equipment you use to test?

B

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, much appreciated.

How do you know the positive lead on the LED bulb pins?

Can you link us to the equipment you use to test?

B

I just used a Digital Multimeter to test for voltage on the AC panel. You can test it while its still hooked up in the truck, or use a 12volt power supply. The Grey wire in the wiring harness that plugs into the AC panel is the positive wire for the illumination (power to the bulbs). Trace the circuit from that pin to the light bulbs along the circuit board, thats your positive. The grounds are all tied together, so its easy to spot on the circuit board. If you test the legs at the bulb with power applied, it will read 5.5 volts. That confused me, so I looked closer at the board, and thats how I figured the bulbs were wired 2 bulbs in series. Thats why you only need to put a resistor on the two bulbs I circled in the pic above. As far as the LED's themselves, the longer leg is the positive, thats the one you wanna solder your resistor to.

Last edited:

Husker1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great awesome write ups! I would love to do this mod but would be a little worried about doing it on my 04 using this 00-02 thread. They look almost to bright tho is there anyway to get them dimmer like the originals, i know you could just adjust the knob but i would rather not because then in my readout on the instrument cluster will be to dim for me

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great awesome write ups! I would love to do this mod but would be a little worried about doing it on my 04 using this 00-02 thread. They look almost to bright tho is there anyway to get them dimmer like the originals, i know you could just adjust the knob but i would rather not because then in my readout on the instrument cluster will be to dim for me

As far as the brightness, I mentioned before that they aren't nearly as bright as they look in the pictures. The camera picked up tons of glare for some reason. This pic is probably the most accurate on how bright they are.
DSC00021-1.jpg
But if you still wanted them a bit dimmer, you could alway go with a larger resitor value and that would make the LEDs light up a bit dimmer.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between these than a 03 up. They look the same to me when i pulled mine out and looked at it. but not sure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans