Change rear wheel bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjaaam

Reaction score
Hello - new member here...thanking all in advance for advice!

My 2015 Tahoe 4X4 LT has 104K miles on it and I think all of the wheel bearings are shot. I replaced the front hubs myself with Timkens and it quieted things down quite a bit. I was on the freeway yesterday and I still seem to be hearing some humming - I would think that it has to be the rear bearings. The passenger side rear has a bit of up/down play in it.

I'm a shade-tree mechanic but changing the rear bearings out doesn't look too bad overall - just time consuming. Has anyone ever changed the bearings while on jack stands? Will I have enough room to get to all of the bolts on the diff cover? I'm contemplating doing it myself because I called the dealer this morning...and, of course, since I'm over the 100K mark they won't cover it. Well, maybe they'll cover some, but he said I would have to bring it in and pay a $130 diagnostic fee just to verify that's what it is and then they'll see what/if GM would cover. He quoted me $800 to change both bearings. That's just nuts.

Looking for opinions and advice from those "in the know". Is this an easy job?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello - new member here...thanking all in advance for advice!

My 2015 Tahoe 4X4 LT has 104K miles on it and I think all of the wheel bearings are shot. I replaced the front hubs myself with Timkens and it quieted things down quite a bit. I was on the freeway yesterday and I still seem to be hearing some humming - I would think that it has to be the rear bearings. The passenger side rear has a bit of up/down play in it.

I'm a shade-tree mechanic but changing the rear bearings out doesn't look too bad overall - just time consuming. Has anyone ever changed the bearings while on jack stands? Will I have enough room to get to all of the bolts on the diff cover? I'm contemplating doing it myself because I called the dealer this morning...and, of course, since I'm over the 100K mark they won't cover it. Well, maybe they'll cover some, but he said I would have to bring it in and pay a $130 diagnostic fee just to verify that's what it is and then they'll see what/if GM would cover. He quoted me $800 to change both bearings. That's just nuts.

Looking for opinions and advice from those "in the know". Is this an easy job?
Not sure on yours but I've done it on my 08 Silverado and it should be the same process, it's a differential. You need to pull axles which means pulling the brakes including rotors and calipers/ mounts then the diff cover and drain the oil, pull the pin on the spider gear then push in the axle and remove the c-clips so the axles slide out. Put the pin back in so the spider gears and shims don't fall out because that's bad. Once the axles are out, get a bearing puller from a loan a tool and pull the seals and bearings. Reinstall with a bearing install set from the loan a tool place, install axles and diff cover. Fill with fluid with a cheap hand pump that attaches to a quart gear oil bottle. You'll need new seals too since the bearings are behind them plus it makes sense because you're in there anyway. It's an afternoon job. There's YouTube videos you should check out first.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a Google search and see if there is a youtube showing how to replace the rears.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, on my 2006 the rear axles ARE the inner races for the rear bearings. So to change the rear bearings completely you need to replace the rear axles. Right?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Rocket man is spot on. You can do it, just time consuming. Parts are cheap though, and you’ll get to put new oil in it which it probably needs at that mileage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan